Aug 10

DIY Dixie Cup Garland

Cuteness alert coming right at you, but how fun is this little DIY project, guys? I found the original inspiration on Pinterest (the ‘lamp shades’ were covered in Hallowe’en hued paper) but figured I’d give it a go using my fave hues. Wouldn’t this garland be absolutely fabulous for a bridal shower, an outdoor wedding and or even the most perfect addition to a nursery in lieu of a night light? Check out the awesome step by step photos below shot by the always wonderful Jenna. Craft on, beauties!

{Step 1} Carefully cut apart a Dixie cup and smooth it out so it is as flat as possible. Trace the smoothed out cup carefully onto a piece of paper to make your Dixie cup shade template. I had to try and make my template a few separate times until the template wrapped around the cup perfectly so don’t get upset if the first template you trace doesn’t fit over your cup perfectly. Make as many shade cut outs from your scrapbook paper as you will need to cover each individual bulb on your light garland.

{Step 2} Using double sided tape, adhere one end of a shade cover to a Dixie cup. Add another piece of double sided tape to the other end of the cut out and carefully wrap the entire piece around the cup. I tried to slide the edge of my cut out against the lip of the Dixie cup to give the ‘shade’ an as seamless as possible look. Make sure your edges match up and repeat this step until all of your Dixie cups are covered.

Like so!

{Step 3} Using a pencil (or you can just eyeball it) you’ll make an X on the bottoms of the Dixie cups. Then carefully using an Exacto knife you’ll need to cut an X pattern into your cup. This is where the bulbs will poke through and the X needs to be small enough that the cups won’t slip out and fall off. Repeat this step until all of your Dixie cups have slit X’s into the bottoms and then carefully begin popping in each bulb to the bottoms of the cups, stringing along until your garland is covered.

I only made a select number of shades for the purpose of the photos here but you get the idea. And it’s also important to note, that it’s a bit risky to use regular holiday lights for this project; they can get very hot and because of how close they would be to the cups and paper may cause the cups to melt or catch fire. The original project article suggests using LED lights which is great if you can find them with white wiring (I had no such luck)! For the purpose of pretty pictures I used regular lights.

And just in case you’re wondering how your little cups will look when you plug in your lights, here’s a shot for you :) xoxo

This little project was also shown over on The Loveliest Day; thanks Melis for sharing the love :)

185 thoughts on “DIY Dixie Cup Garland”

1. This is seriously adorable and so simple!! Love it.

2. What an AWESOME idea!!! love it!

3. Abby Grace says:

Gah! This is so stinkin cute! I love this for a bridal party. Or a little girl’s room. SO adorable!!

4. You come up with the most cutest DIY’s! Totally Pinned this :D

5. super sweet idea, Rhi.

xoxo, chrissy
    The Perfect Palette

6. aaa, i love this and am totally inspired! Wouldn’t this be fun for the back to college gang? I totally would have made these for my dorm room back in the day:) These would be so adorable for a deck party, wedding, or any kind of dessert table…brilliant, Rhi!

7. You’re incredible, Rhi. AWESOME little project!

8. Amber Burton says:

What a super cute idea!! I love it! My brother is getting married the end of September and I am wondering if we can work this in somehow. They are flying in today from Japan and will be moving to New Zealand shortly after the wedding, so most we are doing most of their planning for them. Hmmm….Thanks for the idea!

9. kimia kline says:

awesome idea. and the images in the tutorial are so gorgeous they make me want to run out and make my own dixie cup light immediately!

10. Love this idea! So adorable! Thank you for the step-by-step instructions and pics! xo

11. Sarah Dipzinski says:

I love these! I saw them on the Good Housekeeping site back at Halloween! Cute to use them in a more feminine way and the photos are gorgeous! :)

12. Nora says:

This would be so cute for a nursery/shower. I am going to keep my eyes out for LED lights around the holidays for this! Great idea!

PS: Yet again, your nails are sooo fun. I love the bright pastels you use!

13. birdie to be says:

Such a lovely idea! I love that you incorporated the lights!

14. This is such a gorgeous project I am utterly in love with it! This is a must make – Love it!

15. This is so cute and seems so very easy! Genius idea!

16. OK even I can do this and I’m DIY challenged and I love twinkly lights.

17. Alisha says:

What a fun little project! I want to make these for every holiday now!! ;)

You’re on a roll sista! LOve this project (: I could see it strung on the sweetheart table!

I love this project! I’m going to have to keep this in mind for when friends start to get married. :) I don’t know if I’ve mentioned it before, but I love how your blog has been “changing” in the past few weeks. I’ve loved reading your blog even more since it seems more “you”. You have such great insight and a really positive attitude I admire. Keep it coming, Rhi!

20. Christine says:

You are on a DIY ROLL, girl!! These are seriously adorable. I love the colour palette and I LOVE how your nails always look so darn pretty :)

21. I audibly sighed when I saw that piece of gorgeousness. Love it.

Oh my goodness…what a FANTASTIC idea and affordable! Love it!!!

23. LOVE THIS! Expecting to see it all over pinterest today.

24. SUCH a beautiful idea! Absolutely heart this! xo

25. When I first saw someone tweet this, I wasn’t sure what it was going to look like, but how CUTE IS THIS?! So easy, and it even looks expensive! LOVE!

You’re killing me with all these DIYs lately-I have to say, the new direction of the blog is maybe my newest most favorite thing ever. Just try to make out what all that nonsense means.

27. ana says:

what a sweet idea! i LOVE this and will definitely give this a try :)

28. Kristen says:

Love this! Such a sweet DIY!

I love these! I also saw them on Pinterest and plan on making them over the week-end. I am having a little party on the 20th and am covering mine in paper with flipflops on it ~ I think they are adorable. xo

30. Loving this project. And soo easy! Can’t wait to try it.

31. How precious is this?!! So lovely!!

32. I love this! Nice work girlfriend :)

33. Sarah Jayne says:

These are SO brilliant! I LOVE IT!!

34. I just put this post on my sister’s facebook wall. :) I think these would be perfect for her 2 year old daughter’s Paris inspired bedroom. They’re adorable!

35. Super cute! Would be perfect in a nursery too, what a fun project!

36. keren says:

Hey Doll!

Just wanted to let you know i featured this today!!!
    xo!

-K

37. Kimmy says:

awhhh these are so pretty!!! :) I love your colours better.

38. Mar says:

Wow!
    thanks you for the idea!!

39. you are such a creative genius!!
    i love this idea! so simple and adorable!!!

40. Zepequeña says:

Lovely!

Zepequeña.

41. this is adorable! i must recreate this for my next backyard bash!

42. This is lovely…so is your nail polish! Great idea!

43. Melina says:

I love this idea! It is way too cute and simple not to try out!

44. Heldine says:

OMG – I totally want to do this to decorate this fort space that I have. :)

45. Melody says:

Is there a link to follow your blog?

46. rein says:

This is lovely,
    Thanks for sharing!

47. makkie says:

Hi!
    If you like, I made also a cup garland on a diffrent way. It’s on my blog from 27 april. Also very pretty just like yours!

48. makkie says:

If you like you can see my cup garland on a different way. Its on mij blog from 27 april. This one is also nice!

49. Kathleen says:

So gorgeous! This will be perfect for an upcoming bday party I’m throwing for a friend. Thanks!

50. Rachel says:

Wonderful!! Inspiring!! Dare I say it? Enlightening!!

51. epistyle says:

Quelle merveilleuse idée ! GREAT !!!

52. Rasha says:

love this.

53. Rebecca says:

Adorable! Love your photos, too.

54. gorgeous diy and gorgeous photos!

Hi Rhi, how are you? I hope you are enjoying the Christmas season and and have so much fun with your hubby.
    I love this idea! I saw it on Ohdeeoh and popped over to say hello. I think I’ll make a strand or two of these dixie cup garlands for my tree and perhaps my mantel – oh so much fun!
    Have a very Merry Christmas lovely lady! -Lisa

56. It is a wonderful, creative and easy-to-do craft!!!
    It has it all!!

57. It has it all, pretty, creative and easy-to-do craftie!!
    I love it!

58. It is indeed pretty, creative and astonishly easy-to-do craft!!
    It has it all! thanks for sharing :D

59. Kate says:

Beautiful idea for an outdoor bridal shower! :)

60. Emily says:

This is so quaint and pretty.. even the new DIY’s like myself shouldn’t have a problem with it!!

61. Maren says:

LOVE! Using for my wedding for sure!
    Site for white wired LED lights: http://www.1000bulbs.com/search/?q=LED+white+wire

62. LEDMarketing says:

LOVE! Using for my wedding for sure!
    Site for white wired LED lights: http://www.ledmarketing.com/wholesale/index.html?keyword=LED+white+wire

63. Pingback: {natzfirefly}
  64. What a cute project! I love it so much that I decided to feature it in our roundup of patio crafts! Check it out here: http://www.favecraftsblog.com/outdoor-patio-crafts/

Have a great day!

65. Pingback: DIY | Luzinhas! |
  66. That’s really an awesome and easy-to-do idea! Thanks for sharing and I will DIY one with my family in this weekend.. lol.

67. Hi, these are really lovely! Thank you so much for the tutorial.

I’ve included a link to them on my round up of the 10 best wedding crafts that kids can make. I hope you don’t mind!

The link is: http://www.hodgepodgecraft.com/2013/08/top-10-wedding-craft-ideas-which-are-simple-enough-even-for-kids-to-do/

68. Susan Merriam says:

I love this project and it can be so individualized for the occasion!

69. Vicki Frakes says:

Love these. Great idea.

70. Joanne says:

Hi! This is so pretty! I really like the color scheme. What sizes were the cups that you used? :)

71. Maxie says:

beautiful. my wife had a set made of japanese “mini-lanterns” but the electrical went kuh-poot. hummm, wonder if there’s a good way to totally enclose these to create an “enclosed” version for a more muted light with less glare? wife had the hanging in her bedroom, framing her large window. any ideas all you crafty-ones?
    great job! madmax

72. Sara says:

OMG – This decoration is ideal for kids room or the living room. Really great DIY :)