Aug 26

Our First Home {Part 1}

Blogettes, it’s official. Andrew and I will be living in our own brand new and first home by November :)

And as much as I hate showing non-pretty photos over here, I know some of you have been asking to follow along on this journey with us. And I have to admit this has been incredibly exciting for Apb and I so hopefully you’ll find a little excitement in it all too. First up are some blue prints that show the front of our house, the main floor, the second floor and then the aerial view of our lot which shows dimensions. Some of the things in the drawings have since changed, like our kitchen island and a few other aesthetic preferences inside but for the most part this is what every square inch of our new home will look like!

There she is! And she is a beauty :) The exterior will be a Storm gray hue (meaning all the vertical and horizontal “siding”) and the shingled portions within the two peaks will be a darker gray. All of the trim will be a crisp white and we opted to go without the shutters. The front porch will not have the railing on it so we can show off some cute chairs out there and see that front door? That baby is going to be the prettiest shade of yellow. That gray-yellow combo just makes my little heart so happy.

Our main floor is incredibly spacious and very much an open concept living space. That was one of the things about this home that really sold us on it. Once you walk in through the front door you can see into the flex room (a “front” room as we call it in Canada), the living room and then the dining room which sits directly in front of the slider that leads out to the covered deck. There are three large windows in the living room that let in an amazing amount of natural light and along the right side of the house in the living room, will be a fireplace. I love the powder room off of the garage and especially love the half stall Andrew had added to the garage because this means he gets a little space of his own for all his man stuff. We also have a little built in bench off the foyer which I just adore. The bench doubles as storage which is totally awesome for holding winter things.

The second floor is well, slightly intense. I know what you’re all thinking; “Holy *&$%, Rhi, what will you ever do with all that real estate?!” And well lemme break it down for you. Not only did we decide that 4 bedrooms would be beneficial for resale value in the future but the cost of a 4th bedroom versus a third was very little. And we will actually have a use for almost every single room. Bedroom 2 will be my Girl Cave, Bedroom 4 will be the guest room for family and friends that visit or want to stay the night and Bedroom 3 will be a nursery should a little Bosse Babe ever join us in the future. One of the things (OK there were a few) that I asked to have added was the cathedral ceiling in the hallway, the pitched ceiling in the master, the extra large master walk in and the flipped around master bath plan to fit my very much desired claw foot tub in there. Eeeek! We are so incredibly blessed.

And here is our lot. I wish I had exciting things to tell you about this except I don’t. All I know is we will be planting some trees near the side and the front of the house, once they go on sale this fall before the cold weather and snow hits the midwest. We will also be planting (thank you Apb for giving me the go ahead here, seriously thank you) pink peony bushes in front along the porch and near the side of the garage so I can finally fulfill my dreams of being able to cut my own fresh peonies come next spring. To the left of our property is am empty lot and to the right are super sweet nieghbors we’ve already had the pleasure of meeting. Behind us is a wooded area and then a backroad. And I guess I should mention that our neighbors across the street are our close friends Tara and Joey who just built their first home too. It’ll be so lovely to have friends as neighbors!

And with that I will leave you will this; what our lot looked like right before they broke ground! Part two coming soon :) xoxo

53 thoughts on “Our First Home {Part 1}”

Oh, how exciting!!! You’re going to have such a beautiful home!!

2. I am totally and utterly excited for you and Andrew….I’ll take bedroom #2 but I guess when babies come you want them close so I can live with the others! Awesome!!

3. So exciting!!! I was excited moving to our dream house in the country last year but I think it’s even doubly so when you’re building!!! Best of luck with it all, looks like it’s going to be amazing!!

LOVE IT.

5. Andy Owen says:

Super jealous! That’s awesome! I really want to be able to build our own home someday in the not-too-distance future, but we JUST (in February) finished adding onto our current house. We nearly doubled our teeny tiny 720 sq.ft. house (no basement) to make it a 1380 sq.ft. house. Added a larger living room, second bath, and two bedrooms. But this looks AWESOME! I grew up in a house similar with four bedrooms, and you’ll be glad you did that. My brain doesn’t understand three bedrooms…you always want the extra room! :) Congratulations! Can’t wait to see more!

CLAW FOOT TUB?!?!??!?!?!?? Thank goodness you’ve got those extra bedrooms-I’m moving in.

7. Victoria says:

This is fabulous news! How exciting for you and your man! Glad I caught this post, look forward to following your journey!!! Love love love cathedral ceilings :) CONGRATS!

8. Eeek!!! So exciting. A first home is thrilling no matter what, but to be able to build and design from scratch?! That is amazing!!! So happy for you and Andrew! I can’t wait to see more!

9. The plans, the plot, the girl cave, the open-plan living,…
    Have the best time seeing this being built, pieces by pieces, like a wonderful journey…
    Love love love it… And so happy for you!

10. The plans, the plot, the girl cave, the open-plan living,…
    Love love love it… And so happy for you!

11. Ha, Lena! Wow! So very thrilled for both of you :) Can’t wait to see more, plus your decor choices. I might have to go ahead and reserve the guest room. When can you pencil me in??

CONGRATS!!!

12. Congrats!! That is so exciting! It is going to be so much fun to have a brand new home that you can design and decorate to your liking! YAY! Can’t wait to follow along and see how it turns out!

13. Dana says:

Congratulations!!! :) xo

Yeah for both of you Rhi ~ what an exciting time and you are going to have so much fun picking out everything!!

15. Nora says:

So wonderful!! Congratulations!! I can’t wait to see what you do with the place, I was so bummed that you were blogging less so house photos make me so excited!

16. Love the design, and the urban planner in me is screaming LOVE THE LOT SIZE AND LOCATION! Oh the garden you will have :) Nicely done Rhi!

17. So happy for you both Rhi! YAY for a baby bosse one day! ;)

18. Congrats, sweetie! That’s so exciting!!! Looks like it’s going to be an absolutely beautiful home!

Have a wonderful weekend :) xoxo

19. Ahhhhh congratulations!!! What wonderful news!!!

20. Alexa says:

Yay. That is awesome. Congrats!

21. jackie says:

oh my goodness, that looks just perfect for you by what you said :) how exciting! congratulations!!! and i agree, the yellow door with gray siding will look beautiful.

22. Mallory says:

Oh my goodness, this is so exciting! Congratulations!

23. Kerry says:

Congrats Rhi! I’m so excited for you two! This is fabulous news and everything about the house is gorgeous! I’m beyond excited to follow along on this journey xx

24. Soooo exciting!! I’m so jealous of your big, gorgeous home! I can’t wait to follow along :) Congrats!!! xox

25. That is so exiting! Congratuations. Can’t wait to see all the upcoming decor posts ;)

26. Congrats Rhi! This is sooo exciting! I can’t wait to see more photos as the progress begins! xo

27. I’m loving the sounds of everything, Rhi! We bought our house back in 2007 and it’s such a great feeling to become home owners :) Your house looks incredible! I love all of your ideas. Sounds like we have similar tastes when it comes to design.

I love the built in bench you spoke of and the chairs on the porch :) The exterior plans look so nice. Enjoy this process! I’m sure you are! Oh, and that’s so great that you’ll be able to move in by November :) They must be quick!

xo, chrissy
    The Perfect Palette

so exciting! congrats! i love the idea of a yellow door – how cheery!
    xo

29. Christine says:

HUGE congrats to you, Rhi! Your house sounds and looks like it is going to be AMAZING!! I can’t wait to follow along…

30. So awesome. I can’t wait to see it. Of course you will have pink peony bushes! That is a staple for any girl who loves pretty things! I wish I was building a fab house in your neighborhood. Mad we would get into a lot of trouble!!!

I guarentee it’s going to be beautiful! Love the floor plan (: You know dorky me….love all floorplans! But really, the flow seems awesome! Aww, it’s going to be beautiful, Rhi
    xoxo

How exciting, Rhiannon!!! I simply cannot wait to live in a home and my fiancé and I keep watching all the house hunting and home design shows on HGTV and could watch them non-stop…we are so excited for that step and seeing you make it just makes me beyond thrilled for you!!! Can’t wait to see what you do with it because I know your decorating talent will just shine! Congratulations and I am looking forward to following on this journey with you!!!

33. This is SO exciting! I am beyond excited to see you decorate – be sure to bring us along the way as you do!!

34. what a project! your blueprints looks uhh-mazing and I hope you keep us posted with lots of photos from the progress. congratulations : )

35. This is so great :D the plans look great!
    I would kill for all that room lol

36. Jas says:

wow the house looks fabulous! the proportions are really generous and I’m loving the colour palette for the outside especially with that yellow front door!

So excited for you both!

37. Jess says:

Yay! Congrats you guys! Buying a home is always an exciting adventure! Can’t wait to see the final results!

38. i’m loving it already!! i love grey houses with crisp white trim!
    and a claw foot tub, definitely a must!!

can’t wait to see more…… :)

39. Oh my goodness this is HUGE! Congrats Rhi:-)

40. slamdunk says:

Congrats Rhi–sounds fantastic. I hope you all are able to have fun with all the work.

41. Leah says:

Looks great! All the best with the new house and all that comes with it.

xo L.

42. Natalie says:

Everything looks fantastic! I am so happy for the two of you! I hope that I can get out there to visit once you guys are settled and your schedule slows down. You should have a housewarming party!!!!!!!!! YES! Do it!!

Congratulations again!

43. Megan says:

i am seething…SEETHING with jealousy

44. Megan says:

and u forgot that bedroom four is actually my room…its okay. you can edit that in.

45. birdie to be says:

CONGRATS! That is sooo exciting!

46. Clare says:

Congratulations!! Such wonderful news. These plans look phenomenal! Best of luck with it all. I look forward to following the progress :-)

~ Clare x

47. Aaaahhhh!!! Congratulations that is soo exciting!!!

48. How exciting!!! It looks like you’ve got an amazing plan going, Rhi! Can’t wait to see it all unfold (I love what I’ve already seen on Twitter!)

Rhi, so excited for you!! Can’t wait to read more about your new home!