Sep 6

DIY Paint Swatch Chandelier

A paint-swatch chandelier? I think so :)

{Step 1} You’ll need a whole bunch of paint swatches in your desired colours (seriously, emphasis on the whole bunch part). I picked a variety of blush, pink and red hues so I could get a fancy ombre look to my chandelier but I can only imagine how many different looks you could go for with your own chandelier. Using a scalloped paper punch you’ll need to punch about 40 -60 swatches into little medallions. Keep the medallions divided by colours in little saucers or cups like below.

{Step 2} I bought my lamp shade (my chandelier base) from Lowes for about 5 bucks. Using an Exacto knife and super sharp metal scissors I carefully cut apart the fabric lamp shade, peeling away the pieces until the metal parts were as exposed as possible. When picking out a lamp shade I tried to pick out one where the bottom diameter is much smaller than the top. This will make your layers of paint swatch medallions hang better and thus look much better when the final product is done.

{Step 3} Lay out your paint medallions, coloured side down, in the desired order. Tape down a long piece of coloured thread along the middle of the backs of each medallion. Then using a piece of tape, cut down the center width wise, tape together the edges where one medallion meets the next. Without this final piece of tape, the medallions with rotate on their piece of thread, thus showing the bar codes, text and colour names usually located on the backs of the paint swatches. If that doesn’t bother you then this step isn’t necessary! Repeat this step until all of your chandelier strands are strung and taped together.

{Step 4} Flip your lamp shade upside down and fasten it somewhere where it can hang freely (I tied mine to the latch that opens and closes our air vent in our ceiling). Start stringing on your strands along the perimeter of the bottom of the chandelier until the entire metal base is covered. Then start stringing strands along the widest ‘top’ of your chandelier so that the lowest part of your strand hits the mid point of the bottom layer. Continue this all the way around until the entire chandelier is covered. Add a ribbon to the metal pieces (where the light bulb would pop in) and voila! You’re ready to hang this beauty!

Thanks to Jenna for the photos, as always. Hope everyone had the sweetest long weekend ever! Big hugs to you all xoxo

216 thoughts on “DIY Paint Swatch Chandelier”

1. Positively adorable! What a charming idea! Love how it’s ombre, too. :)

2. Kristen says:

This is gorgeous! Love the tutorial, and creative process! I hope Lowe’s sees this, and will not come after you, but offer you to post the tutorial for their customers!

SO cute!! pink ombre and scalloped edges means i’m bookmarking this one for SURE!

xo

4. Neallie says:

LOVING this DIY Rhi. A chandelier without sparkles? You made it happen and it is too cute for words! Your nails are super cute too, look at you!

5. How adorable is this?! Great job – wish I had someplace fun to hang one of these!!!!

6. I suspect orders for paint chips will be going up with this lovely DIY wedding project…LOVE it!

7. Katy says:

This is soooo cute! Love it!

8. You are amazingly creative! How did you come up with this idea?! Beautiful! Have a lovely one! xo

9. You are just so creative – I LOVE this idea!

SO cute, Rhi!! I don’t know how you come up with all these amazing DIY ideas…they’re all so unique and so you! Also loving your Hey Gorg-colored nails :) Hope you had a great long weekend!
    Lisa xoxo

11. This is amazing!! SO creative and absolutely adorable!
    And, yes, your mani is FAB xo

12. so this is what you had up your sleeve! Super adorable and very budget friendly. I love this for a baby’s room or maybe a pretty pretty girl cave in a new house ;)

13. Of course this is super cute!! I might even try to do one of these for Little One’s room :D

14. This is gorgeous! I love your DIY posts :)

15. Natalie says:

YAYY! I’ve been waiting for another DIY project! Adorable!

16. Nora says:

Awesome job! I could see this being easier with larger paint chips or even the ones with the three tones, that way you can steal less. ;) I’m saving all my paint chips from now on so I can do one of the amazing projects that keep popping up online!
    I LOVE all the new DIY projects! Keep them coming, you are so creative! And of course, I love your amazing nails! I can’t even go a day without chipping!

17. SIMPLY AMAZING!!!! :) :)

18. RHI!!!! You are so fun! I love it and all DIY projects! fabulous!!! Happy Tuesday!

19. so fliping cute and easy!
    I think my local Lowes is going to have some missing paint samples this weekend! ;)

20. Holly says:

Saw your three wishes at Ten June today and had to come over to check out your blog – so glad I did this DIY chandy is so great!! I need to keep a little wedding inspiration in my life so new reader ;)

21. birdie to be says:

SO pretty! You are so creative!

22. Koru Kate says:

I’m probably on my Home Depot’s radar after my last paint swatch project but this is so sweet & adorable that I may risk another trip ;-)

23. Christine says:

I LOVE this idea, Rhi! You could totally rock this as a mobile in a nursery too.

And your nails always looks so pretty :)

24. Cute and easy! The perfect DIY project!

25. ooooh… in the name of all things adorable – LOVE this!!! xo

Oh Rhiannon, what will you think of next?!? I LOVE this idea…so, so crafty! I always look at those pain swatches and think about things to do with them, but this lovely idea never even graced my mind for a moment…beautiful! I am sure Lowes will not mind at all…you and your idea are too adorable for that! :)

27. Seriously adorable! I have gathered STACKS of paint chips in the past in my hunt for the perfect color! I felt way more guilty about that because I just threw them away. This is a great use of them and just amazing in general!

SUCH a fun project, Rhi! i knew I would love it from the second you told me about it (: Pretty in pink!!

This is all KINDS of crazy cute-you are too good!

30. Perfect….love the affect and let’s just say lovely manicure! :-)

31. Pingback: You Are My Fave
  32. jackie says:

genius idea, but more importantly, i love your nails! they’re the perfect shade and so flawless. jealous.

33. Amber Burton says:

This such an awesome idea! I love it!

34. There have been some amazing projects with paint chip swatches lately….this one is no exception! Beautiful photos. xo

35. simi says:

Oh I am SO going to do that! <3 Love the colors
    xoxo
    simi

36. LOVE the chambray effect! Very pretty!

37. And by chambray I really mean ombre! Oops!

38. LOVE this, so so sweet, especially with that pretty satin ribbon on top. Feeling totally inspired! Keep the beautiful DIYs coming, girl! Xo, Katie

39. Andrea Howe says:

So pretty, and I love your nails :)

40. Fabulous!!! Great photos too. :)

41. Just adorable! A project I’ll have to do with my daughter one weekend!

42. I giggled with the thought of you running from the store clutching paint swatches :)
    This is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing how to make it.

43. Shannon A says:

Oh fun project!!! Would you be willing to share the colors for your awesome manicure?!? :)

44. WOW!!! Cutest DIY I have seen lately!!! Gorgeous!!!

45. shiori says:

It’s just so awesome! BUT, I LOVE your nails (totally off track)!

46. Lauren says:

I think this project is adorable! A fun use of materials for sure:-)

47. Love it. Thanks for sharing

48. Joksie says:

this is too cute we will be making this at papercraft club this week!

49. The things you can do with paint chips! I also posted about some artwork I created from paint chips.

50. Ack. Why did I discard all my old paint chips when I moved? Very cute, love the look of the pink gradient.

51. Casey says:

this is beautiful! My daughter is about to move into her own room, I’m going to make her one of these.

52. Lindsay says:

Thanks for sharing, this is awesome! I featured it on my blog yesterday, feel free to check it out.

53. Sarah says:

Hey I have no idea if this has been asked, but I’m curious as to what size the lamp shade is? And what department in Lowes did you find the bare shade frame in? I looked in Home Depot today but maybe I didn’t look good enough (and, of course, there wasn’t any employees around to ask). Thanks in advanced! I love this project and I plan on starting ASAP after I get my shade frame and a paper punch!! I grabbed a WHOLE BUNCH of paint swatches from Walmart… and I’ll emphasize on a WHOLE BUNCH too, haha!!

54. Art and Home says:

What a sweet idea and very ‘doable’ too. Definitely a project to file away for the school holidays.

55. You are so awesome!!!!!

56. Rachel says:

Oh wow, it’s stunning! I love the ombre effect. I would also love to link to this if you didn’t mind!

57. Are you kidding me? That is adorable. And I just took ten shades off of a chandy I have so I have all of those hidden frames. Didn’t even know. I must try this. Thanks for the beautiful inspiration.

58. Jamie B. says:

I love this so much! Thank you for sharing… it’s beautiful! Hope you don’t mind, I’ve featured it on my blog today. Thanks so much for sharing. Here is my blog:

Thank you!

59. Rebekah says:

This is fantastic! Working on something similar with fabric… But couldn’t find a base.. Will check lowes for sure! Thanks for posting oh and what beautiful pictures!

60. Emily M. says:

this is the best idea!

** one question though: where did you get your hole punch??!

thanks :D

61. Emily M. says:

adorable!

where did you get your hole punch?!

62. Pingback: Circles of Light
  63. Tara says:

How many individual strands do you have? Home Depot is already suspicious…

This is such an adorable idea….and almost free! I’m glad that “My Covered Bridge” sent me over to you. I’m now following your great blog by mail. Please stop by and visit and follow if you like, cause’ I love meeting great new blog friends. Lori

65. Pingback: OMBRE SHOWER
  66. Natasha Salazar says:

Will this work with a light bulb in it too? Or is that a fire-hazard? Would LOVE to make this for my kids’ rooms as an ACTUAL functioning light fixture. How would that work? I’m nervous. I LOVE THIS!!!

67. Amber says:

Making this for my friend as a babyshower gift!! Thank you so much for the fabulous idea!!

68. That does look so pretty – lovely chandy! I have this linked to my ombre post too today, well done!

69. Virginie says:

Thank you so much for this tutorial, what a gorgeous chandelier !
    I have blogged and linked back to you from http://thatcutelittlecake.blogspot.co.uk
    Virginie @ That Cute Little Cake

70. tere says:

I am so making this. I love it.

71. Donna Range says:

Can this actually be used? I would love to make for my daughter room and hang from her ceiling light?

Thanks

72. Pingback: paint, chandelier
  73. Lisa Scheper says:

Love this. And your nails! What kind/color nail polish is that if you don’t mind my asking.

74. X a k i says:

I was just curious, do you know how well this type of craft could handle a light bulb in it?
    Like if you were to have a light already in the ceiling or something and wanted to use the chandelier around it, would the paint swatch papers get too hot for that?

75. Julia says:

What a lovely idea! I love it

76. Love this awesome idea! I always steal paint chips thinking they definitely would be good for a project….now I have one. I hope it would be ok to share this project with my readers, for proper credit of course. And as everyone else, totally loving that manicure color!
    Thanks,
    Mellissa

77. kayleigh says:

Hi! I loved this so much I made 2 variations of it! I put the cut outs back to back on the string and now it’s a mobile in my baby’s room! I did a variation of colors and it’s really great!! All of the little pieces twirl softly and perfectly! Thank you for the idea! (also, I used color-aid paper because I had SO much left over from art school!)

78. Pingback: Chandelier
  79. You are brilliant! NOt only is this a rad project, but it’s also beautifully shot. You and Jenna make a great team!

80. Julia says:

Just wanted to let you know I mentioned this DIY on my blog!
    Take a look :)

Julia

81. So pretty! I have shared one of your photos and linked to it from the Babycenter blog. Let me know if you have any issue with that!

82. Melissa Charlebois says:

Absolutely adorable. Thank you so much. What a perfect way to add splashes of color to any room!

83. James says:

Thank you for sharing. It looks terrific! Very creative too!

84. Pingback: DagensInteriør&Co
  85. Jessica says:

Question. Do you hang this from the bow and not put a bulb in it?? Or do u use it as lamp shade and use a bulb??

86. Hello! I featured your lovely project in the Pastels edition of my blog series, Get Your Color On!

87. Lizzie says:

so cool but seriously what do i use to stick it on there this is a great idea and stuff but really the pictures are out of order and sort of confused me. please take notice and change this so i can do this amazing DIY project! by the way LOVE the color choices you picked out. pink ombre is amazing love the choices you picked. good job! keep up the good work i will be looking at this website more often because it is amazing and totally creative DIY projects! anyways thanks for everthing! – Stay Beautiful

88. Billy says:

AMAZING.

89. Lynn K says:

I used heavy cardstock from a craft store to punched the scalloped circles. I attached the string to the circles then added a back to each circle. No need to worry about UPS codes showing. My Lowe”s displayed only a few paint swatches of each color as people have been taking large quantities of them. OMG but the store must have seen your project & figured how to minimize folks taking more than they should.

90. carmela says:

hello I know what card you used? or a complete were first stained by you?

91. Joshua John says:

Thanks for putting this up. I was really impressed at how simple and cute this idea is. Will definitely try it out. Thanks again.

92. Nico says:

Beautiful, just beautiful and so simple to do.

93. What a beautiful project and so creative!

94. Jiri says:

I’m trying this!

95. PunchBug says:

Can this be hung from your ceiling light without the risk of a fire hazard? Has anyone used this as an actual ‘light shade ‘ or is it just for decoration?

96. Nikola says:

Awesome DIY, my gf will love it for sure.

I am definitively sharing it on my site, if that’s ok with you.

97. Jennifer says:

Great idea! What size did you use to cut out the paint medallions?