Oct 5

Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes and Dark Chocolate Ganache {Recipe}

Back when I started this blog in February of 2009, I had set out to share my love of sweet treats with the world as a serious foodie. Yet, to my disappointment (boo hoo, Rhi) not only am I an extremely messy baker who makes far too many careless mistakes in the kitchen, but just one thought of something even remotely fattening or sugary and it’s instant weight gain for this girl. Within a few months of my baking and blogging escapades, I was struggling to get my jeans over my buns; literally. Thank heavens the wedding world came charging full steam ahead into my life, just in time to snap me outta my sugar coma.

While I’ve lost my spark in the kitchen, and hardly have the time or patience these days to Betty Crocker it up, every now and then I get a craving for the most perfectly prepared kinds of treats. And these cupcakes, whipped up by yours truly two fall seasons ago in 2009, are absolutely divine. They fit the mould perfectly for heavenly goodness! I am a huge fan of rich, chocolate ganache whipped into a fluffy frosting, and paired together with moist, spicy pumpkin cake, it’ll be tough not to eat more than one of these incredible cupcakes. Make em tonight for a little snack time. And send me a few too, pretty please?

{Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes}

4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 1/4 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
1 1/2 – 2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup whole milk or whipping cream
1 tbsp vanilla if needed for sweetness

For the cupcakes, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and in a large bowl, whisk together your flour, baking powders, salt and spices. Set aside. In a separate bowl, combine your sugars, eggs, melted butter and pumpkin puree until mixed well. Combine both mixtures together and if you find it hard to get the batter consistently combined, feel free to mix on low speed with your electric mixture just until smooth. Divide evenly among your lined cupcake wells, about 3/4 of the way full. If you love the brown liners I use (I can’t get enough of these) check these out. Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until the tops spring back when lightly touched. I found 20 minutes was a minute or two too long as I love when my cupcakes are slightly undercooked.

For the ganache, place your chopped chocolate in a heat-safe bowl. In a saucepan, heat your cream over low heat until small bubbles start to form around the edges. Pour the cream over the chocolate and let stand for a few minutes. Stir the chocolate consistently until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Add the butter and continue to stir until the butter is completely melted. In a small bowl whisk together your milk (or cream) with the powdered sugar, vanilla and a pinch of salt for a less sweet taste. This mixture will be thick and sticky. Add in a bit of vanilla for more sweetness and then combine with the chocolate mixture until perfectly smooth. Keep in the fridge for about 20 minutes until firm and then beat with a mixer to make fluffy. Pipe or frost as desired and cover cupcakes at room temperature. Serve within two days for best taste! Enjoy, bloggies xoxo

24 thoughts on “Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes and Dark Chocolate Ganache {Recipe}”

1. These look AH-MAZING! I think I’ll make them this weekend! :)

2. slamdunk says:

I love that fall means getting creative with pumpkin recipes. The spice cake sounds fantastic.

My sister just wrote to me asking if I can make these for her asap :) Is there any combination better than pumpkin and chocolate? I think not…pumpkin and cream cheese frosting is the only thing that I can even begin to compare! I love that you started out as a baking blog and have grown so much, but please don’t hesitate to post desserts because I’m pretty sure not a soul will complain! xoxoxo, have a great day!

4. Lindsay says:

OMG!!!! SOUNDS AMAZING!!!!! :) :)

5. Amber Burton says:

Oh these look and sound amazing! I have been drooling over lots of pumpkin recipes lately. I will have to give these a shot!

6. Holly says:

ahhh these look delicious, especially the chocolate ganache, mmm

7. Yummy! I will be trying these. Thank you for sharing!

8. Krysten says:

Oh my those look AMAZING.

P.S. I’m hosting a scarf swap on my blog and would love for you to join in!

9. I have to say that I’m not a rockstar in the kitchen…. At all but I tell you something… I LOVE chocolate… So i better find a way to Betty Crocker it up!!!! thanks for sharing!

10. oh my heavens! these look divine!!

11. birdie to be says:

These look delicious!!! Perfect for the fall & upcoming holidays!

Oh my oh my oh my ~ I think I will be making these on the week-end. xo

Say what??! Yes, please…and I’m not a sweets person, but say pumpkin spice and I’m in!

Can you IMAGINE how excited I was a for Rhi recipe?!? YUM!

15. Christine says:

Um, LOVE. I just posted how I’m craving some pumpkin and these sound just delish!!!

16. Anna says:

i’m not gonna lie – it’s nice to see that someone else in the world of blogging actually gains weight when they eat sweets. i’m sure you’ve noticed the disproportionate amount of bloggers who are super skinny and claim to eat sweets all day, everyday. it drives me crazy. i’m short and curvy. candy is a weakness and weight gain is the consequence. phew. now that i got that out there – haha – these do look awesome. so awesome that i’m going to ask you stop sharing sweets recipes bc i don’t care how bad of a baker you say you are, i don’t believe you one bit! :)

Yum, yum, yum!! Send me some?? It rhymes (: These look delicious. xoxoox

18. Koru Kate says:

I need something to bring my friend who just had a baby & these are perfect for the new mama!

19. Ariel says:

Oh my goodness, this looks AMAZING! I need to make this… like right now.

~Ariel at adreamersdaze.blogspot.com

20. Jacklyn says:

One of my favorite things about Fall is all the baking. Since I’m far away from my family, I like to make them treats to mail if I can. I had a great recipe for white chocolate pumpkin spice cookies but was looking for something else to take down for when we all get together for the engagement party. This looks perfect for that! Can’t wait!

21. Omgosh. I want these now!! They look delish :)

22. MM MM MM MM MMMMMMMMMMMMMM! I am literally drooling at my desk!!

23. Pingback: Weekly Sweet «
  24. These sound amazing! Dangerous but amazing!