Nov 21

DIY The Perfect Mix Favors

I have to say I love me some Christmas time, guys. As much as I hate the cold, the busyness at the malls once November hits, and the “ohmygoditsallover” that seems to hit me at midnight on December 25th, I live for the holidays and the sweet traditions that mean so much to me. The other day I broke out the Balsam Pine candles so our home can smell like an entire pine forest and I’ve been doing small happy dances through the Christmas section at Hobby Lobby. All of those ornaments and decorations are enough to give a girl heart palapations. So for all of you holiday lovers, and lovers of the sweetness that Christmas brings, this is for you.

{Step 1} Make sure you have all the supplies needed. Pictured is everything I used like small latch-top, seal proof jars from Hobby Lobby, hot cocoa mix, mini marshmallows, some pink linen fabric, mini candy canes, my hot glue gun, Ghirardelli chocolate peppermint squares, my shiny scissors and the prettiest little labels designed and printed by one of my lovely friends Ashley of Lemon and Lavender. Try to refrain from eating all of the needed chocolate peppermint squares.

{Step 2} Scoop equal amounts of cocoa mix into each jar until about halfway full. I used two canisters of cocoa mix to fill the five jars I have so if you need to make these favors on a larger scale I suggest using smaller containers. Once your halfway full, place three chocolate peppermint squares on top of the hot cocoa mix. The chocolate really isn’t needed to make a cup of hot cocoa but man are these things good. And your friends will thank you when they find these little treats hidden inside.

{Step 3} Again, refrain from eating all the mini marshmallows. And use a spoon to scoop marshies until the jars are full.

Like so!

{Step 4} To make the pink linen covers, eye ball and cut out a square piece of fabric that will be large enough to cover the opening of your jars. Cut it out and fold it in half. Draw a semi circle with a pencil or white pencil crayon and cut out to make your circle. Place over the opening of the jar and close the lid and latch to create an air tight seal. See how fun this part is?

The fabric will ruffle slightly once it’s sealed in place which let’s be honest, looks pretty dang cute, no?

{Step 5} Add your “Perfect Mix” labels to the jars. I decided to tape the ones Ashley sent to me, on the sides of the jar over top of where the hot cocoa sat so they would stand out. I was sort of bummed out though because I really wanted to show off the backs of the tags where there are Kate Spade ish type stripes (look how cute these things are, below). I am telling you if you need fun paper products Ashley is your girl. You can check out more of her work here and visit her blog over here too.

Pretty pretty.

{Step 6} To make the candy cane hearts for the tops of the jars, hot glue gun together two small candy canes facing in towards one another. I have seen edible versions of these hearts made with melted chocolate in place of glue but I wanted these just to sit on top of the jars so I was a-ok with gluing my canes together. Then I glued the hearts to the tops of the jars.

I just love how these turned out :) so pink and pretty and soft of course!

But wait. I know you’re all thinking “Rhi, Rhi, Rhi, what is this Perfect Mix you speak of?” And well to be honest it could be the perfect mix of two people falling in love and getting married and having these hot cocoa favors at their wedding celebration. Or it could be the perfect mix of hot cocoa and a dash of a little thing I like to call yummy in a bottle. Aka kahlua. I’ll go with the later.

The Perfect Mix. I hope it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside this year during the holidays! Much love, beauties xoxo

116 thoughts on “DIY The Perfect Mix Favors”

1. Lauren @ ELD says:

LOVE! You always have amazing DIYs- the photos help so much! :)

This is a DIY I WILL do this holiday season! I have seen plenty of mixes, but this is by far the cutest one. Thanks, Rhi!

3. slamdunk says:

Very creative with the hot cocoa favors Rhi. I enjoy the Christmas season as well.

4. Absolutely adorable and the kahlua is the PERFECT touch!

Excuse me while I go make these for everyone I know! SO cute…the candy cane heart is the perfect finishing touch! (Kahlua is the other perfect finishing touch :P)

6. This is perfect!! What a great treat :) I love the candy cane heart and I also love your shirt!!

your DIYs are THE BEST. lovelovelove.

8. Neallie says:

Super cute and it looks easy too! This is a fabulous idea, and I love the kahlua addition ~ one of my faves! I’ve been burning my pine scented candle for the last 2 weeks, I can never get enough :)

9. Alexa says:

Oh my gosh the cutest (and yummiest) DIY ever!

10. i kid you not, I had a dream about making hot chocolate favors last night! You read my mind and made it even better in reality! love the little addition of the Kahlua – this favor/gift is so adorable..definitely saving this idea!!!!

11. Stephanie says:

You always have the cutest DIY ideas! I might have to steal this one frm ya :-)

12. Amy says:

Ohh my goodnes, I love this! The perfect holiday gift! You are so creative!

13. Oh dear. I love the favor idea but the Kahlua stole my heart. :) I’m trying this out ASAP! What a great Christmas gift!

14. Holly says:

These are sooooo cute, Rhi! I’ve always thought this would be the perfect Christmas gift to give your friends & family :) p.s. I love your DIY’s so much, my mom, sis & I are going to try making your homemade candles this year!

15. I love the Christmas season too! Such a creative, yummy DIY gift!!

16. Soo fun and festive!! Love those.

17. Liz Maier says:

Love it! Does anyone know where you can find the mini kahlua bottles?

18. Nikki says:

Super cute! And heck yes on adding kahlua. I really like to put Amarula in mine. So good!

19. birdie to be says:

SO cute! The idea just kept getting better & better with each picture! So creative!

I LOVE this…how creative, fun and personalized too with the little details! I’m going to have to do this…super cute!!!

21. Liz Maier says:

Love it! Does anyone know where I can find the mini kahlua bottles?

22. Totally cute and oh-so festive! We especially love adding the spiked element for those who like to add a nip of jolly spirit to their holiday hot cocoa!

23. k8te says:

hot chocolate + kahlua?! genius, not to mention totally adorable!!

beautiful DIY and photos! love it!

25. Gotta love the cute mixes in jars! Great DIY guys, as always! And those tags are uber cute as well.

26. This is fabulous. Right down to the details with the candy cane and Kahlua. Positively fabulous!

27. These are super cute!! I might even do these are cute little holiday gifts.

So impossibly sweet, Rhi-I loveeeeee this!!

29. iheartkiwi says:

LOVE this idea! I am totally stealing it :)

P.S. I always do a little happy dance in Hobby Lobby too. It is one of my favorite places.

30. Lindsay says:

Love this! The holidays are my favorite time of year too! I love all the traditions:)

31. That is so cute and so personable! Love the Kahlua on the side! Lovely photos, too…

32. Amber says:

What a cute idea and the Kahlua on the side…wonderful! I love Christmas time. It makes me feel happy and calm and excited. I love decorating and making cookies and of course drinking amazing hot chocolate! I hope you have a wonderful holiday season!

33. mmm yummy!!! what a neat idea! love how it looks!

34. Melissa R. says:

Love this! So sweet and yummy!

35. Tiffani says:

OMG, love that!! Will definitely be making that for gifts or favors.

36. brandi says:

this post made me smile! i love it all! wish I could DIY with you!

xoxo
    b

37. Judy says:

I LOVE this ~Wonderful idea~

38. adorable, fun, and yummy! The perfect combo :)

39. Creative idea, Rhi :) Great gift idea too!

40. Love this idea! I know what all my printing vendors are getting this year!!!

Yum yum yum!! I love these! What a perfect little gift!

… plus your DIY’s are always so beautiful.

42. Brancoprata says:

You always come up with the best ideas!!! This is gorgeous!!!!

43. I agree with Aleah on the Kahlua and Sofia on how clever you are. This is fantasticallyfantabulous!

Rhi! These are so so so cute. I love everything about them. You’re so great with your DIYs (: What wonderful holiday gift!

45. I’m loving your blog and the photography of these! They are adorable. The extra touch with the kahlua and the candy canes are my favourite :)

46. nora says:

This is beyond cute! I love the kahlua!!

47. Gina says:

So nice, so pretty and so simple! Thank you!

48. Inge says:

OMG, how cute and sweet are these? You’re such an incredible DIY’er, would love to make these myself this Christmas! Thanks for the inspiration!! Love, Inge x

49. Colleen says:

Ack!!! Love this!! Will have to do for presents!!

50. I am going to have to make these for Teacher gifts. What an awesome idea. I would like to know where you got those little kahlua bottles? They are too cute:) If you can, could you email me and let me know? Thanks:) I wish/hope you and your family had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

51. Thanks for a great tutorial! These would make perfect holiday season bridal shower favors!

52. LouBoo says:

Rhi – oh my goodness how clever are you?? Amazing. I always love these little vignettes of what you can create. So special. So I know I am sporadic commenter – but I am always here in spirit sweetpea. Lou x

53. So adorable! The heart shaped candy canes and the bottle of Kahlua are both nice touches, too! :)

54. Lauren says:

i LOVE your outfit!! that top is amazing.. where did you get it from? :)

55. Lindsay says:

I adore this idea Rhi! Hopefully I can find some time to do this for Christmas. If not I’ll have to send this along to my bestie who is getting married next December!

56. Pingback: Weekly Sweet «
  57. Love these! So perfect for winter. I wish I could have one right in front of me right now.

58. Andy Owen says:

I checked, hoping that I wouldn’t be the only guy on here saying, “Yeah, I not only want to receive one of these, but they’d be fun to make too.” Apparently I am, but I don’t care, those are awesome!

59. megan says:

I had forgotten where I saw this and have been searching everywhere for it! I’m so glad I found it again, I think this is the best hot chocolate project ever!!
    Thanks for the tutorial!

60. Pingback: Layered Jars «
  61. Pingback: DIY Xmas Gifts –
  62. Melissa says:

Cute idea!

63. Maria says:

I love these! I was just wondering if there are any instructions on how to actually make the hot chocolate, how many scoops and how much milk? Do you break up the chocolate squares and let them melt into the hot chocolate?

64. Brittney says:

Such a cute idea! I love this. Thanks for sharing! :)

65. Betty says:

Where would I find tha tags that u put on tha jar?

66. Kylee Post says:

I am going to do this for Christmas presents for my friends!! Perfect :) is there anyway to get labels like that anywhere?

67. Pam says:

Are there any instructions with these? How many scoops of mix to make a cup of hot chocolate?

68. Lei says:

Good idea for party favors. P.s. where’d you get your sparkly tank top? It’s awesome.

69. Claudia says:

I love ur idea. Hot cocoa mix in a jar. This is awesome.
    However….my family has never seen this before so I know they wouldn’t know what to do with it, can it be heated to make hot cocoa? Or is it to stay in the jar?

70. Courtney says:

Wonderful idea- thank you so much for the inspiration.

71. Christmas Girl says:

Adorable! I am definitly making theese! they arae perfect for someone you can’t think of a gift for!! Love them!!

72. Ali says:

Hi!!!! Oh Freaking My, these are darling! Loved it thank you so much, specially since I just found a Homemade Kahlua recipe that is so easy and Heavenly. All you need is 6 cups brewed coffee, about a pound light brown sugar, half a liter vodka which is 2 cups in US measurements and some vanilla extract. You mix the sugar and the coffee while the latter is still hot and then let it cool and add the rest of the ingredients. Thought you could use this recipe and then pour it into pretty little bottles you can buy at some cheap store and make it even prettier. Hope it’s useful and Blessings to y’all, Ali from Costa Rica!

73. Mary Lou says:

Lovely presentation of a terrific idea. If you use royal frosting in place of hot glue, the candy cane heart will be edible, too.

74. Jeannette R. says:

Love this idea! Know who I can make some for! Thanks for posting!

75. Xella says:

Wow this is an absolutely perfect gift idea. I love it so much. Thanks for sharing! I will definitely copy this.

76. natalie says:

how far in advance can these be made?

77. vicki moore says:

Could also use same idea for cake in a mug….the one with angelfood cake mix and favorite cake mix together, mix 3 tablespoons mix with 2 tablespoons water, (no eggs,or oil) so stays fresh in sealed bowl….bake in micro for 1 minute….perfect individual size cake servings….

78. Kim says:

What a great idea. I will have to possibly give these to to my coworkers.

79. Cyndi says:

Where can I find these super cute jars that you used? I have been looking everywhere! :) Thanks-

80. Cyndi says:

I almost forgot…….are there instructions for the person receiving the gift?

81. Melinda says:

Wher can I find the mini kahlua bottles? Also, please, what are I instructions to make the mix?
    Thanks!

82. ariana says:

Hi i simply love this so cute.. Is there any instructions. Would love to do this as gifts. Thanks

83. Those wedding favours look amazing! You are highly skilled lady.

84. Pingback: Mommy Basics Blog
  85. Linda says:

I love this. Adding the mini bottle makes it so awesome! Thanks for sharing and I also wanted to ask, where can I find these jars?