Dec 29

Au Revoir 2011

2011. You were so lovely.

In January, Apb and I finally ended up being together. Physically. After two very long years of living 13 hours apart. I packed up my little Jetta, loaded up my entire life, and Chenks and I drove from Toronto to Chicago. I’ll never forget the feeling of walking into our little apartment for good (at last!) and being enveloped into my sweet husband’s arms. I was finally home.

In February, I had a feature over here. My first one ever. Beth, thank you. And that same week, this feature went up here. After only a few months of officially launching, Hey Gorgeous really took off. With that I knew there would be no looking back. I bought my first desk and a bunch of fresh yellow tulips to sit next to my laptop, long before I even had a desk chair. I set some goals. For once in my life I finally felt like my professional life had a purpose and some really great big things in store.

Moving into March, this sweet mama to be got married. Nat and Ben, I am so thankful for your trust and faith in me and my work. I can’t wait to meet your new little babe in 2012. Then in April, Andrew and I moved into a much bigger little apartment in Grand Rapids right before Easter. I created a safe haven for my work (I miss you old Girl Cave), I tossed pretty hued confetti into the air, I got used to a new city and Apb and I swam neck-deep in a sea of immigration papers and trips to the lawyer’s office to get my Greencard sorted out. Apb turned another year old, and another year wiser and more handsome.

And in May I turned 25. Sweet sweet 25. I can hardly believe that I’m already 25. I feel so old. But so young all at once. I had a nice dinner with Apb and some friends. I was gifted with cake and a white West Elm rhino head. And I crawled into bed on my 25th birthday at 10:00 pm because of an important wedding the next day. Julie and Ryan, you’re wedding was so special. I am blessed to have you as a girlfriend now, Linds. And Julie, get back from Hawaii already please. I miss you so much!

Then in June, this happened. And I will be forever grateful for Tonya who graciously paid to travel to Michigan from Utah, to photograph my work. You are such a dear friend Tonya, and your heart and soul as a photographer and a woman leave me feeling humbled and grateful. Michele, Kelly, Liz, Jen and Nick, Michelle, Maggie, you all selflessly gave and contributed to an endeavor that would have never been possible without you. Paul and Vanessa, your kindness has left me speechless.

In July, we thought about this. And amongst all of the excitement that comes along with digging a huge hole in the ground, this amazing woman entered my life. Together we did this, this and this. Jenna, I can’t even find the words to tell you how big of a blessing you’ve been in my life. You’ve graciously given your time, expertise and friendship to me and I’ve been honoured to work alongside you as we make big and pretty things happen together. I couldn’t even imagine heading into 2012 without you.

In August, I was honoured to be a part of this beautiful wedding here. Which led me to meet this phenomenal photographer who I can now call a friend. I also went back to Canada for the first time in nine months. I slept in my old bedroom, I visited old friends, I snuggled with my Mom. We got pedicures together. And then I got to be a part of this gorgeous Indian-Canadian wedding celebration. I haven’t shown all the photos yet from Shal and Arjun’s big day but these two touched my heart in more ways than I could ever imagine. Their wedding day was so long but oh so fulfilling for me. Thanks for the photo, Peter.

In September, we celebrated this day here. We had the most perfect time celebrating 12 months of happily ever after. Beth I’m not sure I can accurately describe my feelings for you, but I am thanking the heavens we crossed paths. You captured Apb and I in a way that has left a piece of my soul completely and utterly on cloud 9. To feel the same way I did on our anniversary as I did on our wedding day was pretty incredible. And you were a monumental part of making that happen. I love you so much. Also, how could I possibly forget this incredible party? Shawna and Mick, I hope we stay friends for years to come.

In October, we celebrated getting my Greencard (which was actually approved in September). We flew to California with my parents and drove along the coast, soaking in the ocean, the salty air and the sunsets that can only be described as heavenly. Mom and Dad, I love you so much. You are such loving and generous parents and I feel so lucky to have you as mine. Your support and encouragement is a blessing. I also had the opportunity to meet some blogging friends in San Francisco. We sipped on Moscato together. I spent too much money at Paper Source. I started dreaming up ideas for new editorials, new business plans, new and much bigger and better goals for Hey Gorgeous, for me and for my life. And Tonya again braved the long flight from Utah to Michigan and together with some other fantastic vendors we did this, despite the crazy cold weather.

In November, we closed on our first home. I don’t care what anyone says about material things not meaning much. Our home is one the things I am most proud about in our life. This is ours. Uniquely ours. Perfectly us. Warm, cozy, safe, beautiful and big. Did I mention ours? I wake up every day and feel nothing but gratitude for the home we have been blessed with.

In December, we moved into our new home. We turned off our laptops and cell phones. We learned to go to bed a bit earlier. To take better care of our surroundings. To send more notes to friends. To make a better effort to eat healthier, to spend less, to love more. To enjoy all the little things that mean so much in the bigger picture. Our new home means so much more than new cabinets and fancy chandeliers. And in a funny way, Andrew and I have both been preparing for a new year, for months.

In 2012 I want to work smarter, not harder. I want to compete less with others and more with myself. I want HGE to soar to new heights. I want to love my husband more (if that’s even possible), I want to spend more time with my family. I want to feel more and be more. As I mentioned yesterday, I want my balloon of potential to explode mid air so that all of the confetti of fabulousness can absolutely scatter everywhere. So to you my readers, whoever you may be, may your 2012 be confetti-covered in awesomeness too. I can’t wait to share more from this final project of 2011. Some of my most treasured work yet:

Love lots, from my heart to yours, Rhiannon xoxo

52 thoughts on “Au Revoir 2011”

1. jenn says:

What a beautifully inspirational post! Good things come to good people. May you be blessed beyond comprehension in 2012.

2. Rebecca says:

awwwww what a great post! Congrats on your year!!! It sounds like its been amazing and fulfilling. From a girl who is looking for a change and feeling like I am 21 an snot really 30 {gasp} I am starting to believe more then ever then life is to short and to live it to the fullest. Congrats on everything and keep the gorgeousness coming!!!!!

3. So very proud of where you have come in 2011. I am happy to call you a “friend” even if it is in the virtual world (one day we will meet). I cannot wait to see what 2012 brings you!

You are a gem, my friend! Look at what an amazing year you’ve had. So blessed. Now if I could just get my bootie over there to see this beautiful home of yours!!

5. This post made me tear up! You have done SO much in the past year personally and professionally! I hope all of the goals and wishes you set for 2012 come true~ YOU deserve it!! :) Thanks for sharing!!

6. Marie says:

What a wonderful post. First, I can’t believe what a crazy (but good) and productive year you’ve had! Second, I didn’t know you were from Toronto! Proud to know you are a fellow Canadian gal :) I’m so happy I’ve come to discover you, your blog and inspiring photos. I have to say you’ve not only inspired me daily but also really made me think about certain things that I also want to accomplish in the new year. You have a special way of writing and opening your heart to others. Thank you for your fabulousness, I can’t wait to see what else is in store! Xoxo Marie

What a fantastic year you’ve had, not free of pain, trouble, and sorrow, I know. You’re heart shines through your work and I know that you’re such an encouragement to the people around you. You do GREAT work and no one can take that away from you… even if they try! I know that you will do awesome things in 2012 and I can’t wait to be along for the ride with you!

8. Fabulous year, Rhi! So much to be proud of and truly thankful for. Lookin forward to watching you soar higher than you’ve even dreamed in 2012! Love and blessings to you xx

9. Cloud9Raquel says:

What a great post, Rhiannon. You have achieved so many wonderful things in 2011! Looking forward to following along on your journey throughout 2012. Cheers!

10. What a fabulous year for you! I am so very proud of my blog friend and fellow wedding planner. You are a constant inspiration, thank you so much for that! Here’s for a fab 2012!!!

11. Monica says:

Thank you for sharing your passion with us all…and for the inspiration you bring!! Happy New Year to you, gorgeous, and many blessings for a fabulous 2012!!!

12. Hooray for the year that was 2011 and wishing you the best that life can offer in 2012. Life is fantastically wonderful and growing up and realizing and seeing goals come to fruition is so beautiful. Each year looking back on what was and what happened is amazing. Laying the yellow brick road for the year to come is exciting. Here’s to a marvelous year that was and the one to follow!

13. Supah star! Two thousand and twelve is going to be fantabulous! XO

14. Judy says:

WOWoooo!!!How wonderful a year!!! Full of happiness and memorable!!!! Simple life but meaningful!!!! Best wishes for your 2012!!!!:D

15. I am so happy for you Rhi. I have watched your beautiful work and how you have grown. How you care about others. 2011 has been a wonderful year for you and I can’t wait to see what 2012 brings! Happy New Year beautiful! XO

16. Nikki says:

A great year for you! Looking forward to more exciting things in 2012. Happy New Year! xo

17. Oh my goodness I can’t wait to see your next shoot! You are such an inspiration Rhi and I really do strive to have the ambition you do one day! You have had such an amazing year and I only hope next year is even better for you!

18. Daisy says:

Oh dear! What a beautiful recap, your such an inspiration! I’m looking forward to watching you soar even higher in 2012.
    xoxo

19. Melissa says:

Love this!! Happy 2012! :)

20. Thank you for the wonderful compliments! You have been a great friend and partner throughout everything! I couldn’t have imagined 2011 could have amounted to such success. You’re the best!! xoxo, Jenna

21. Rhi, this is so moving! I have loved watching you and HGE events grow in 2011 and I know you will do INCREDIBLE things in 2012. Maybe you will even come East at some point?! ;) Can’t wait to see what you’ve got in store, beautiful! xo

22. kate says:

what a fabulous year you had! you have a lot to be proud of! here’s to 2012 being even better!

23. Shal says:

Incredible post, Rhi!! What an awesome 2011 you had and I too know that 2012 is just gonna get better for you and HGE :) Thanks for the shout out and I promise to send you those pictures next week…. sorry that my life is such a nut bubble haha, I too am looking forward to more stability in 2012 when Arj and i finally get to live together in Toronto 24/7! Happy New Year!!

24. birdie to be says:

Very lovely post! I love the recap and your sweet story. Xo

25. Monique says:

WOW, 25 and running a successful business? I’m super impressed!

I’m also in love with your adorable house. I’m sure 2012 will bring you even more wonderful things!

26. Fantastic recap, Rhi! It’s been so fun to watch your business grow and become such a success, all while you’ve stayed true to yourself. Inspirational! here’s to an amazing 2012! xoxo

27. Holly says:

What a great year you had! I’ve really enjoyed following along on your journey & can’t wait to see what you do in 2012! :)

I’m so delighted to see this wonderful year in review, and I can’t wait to see what 2012 will hold for you, Apb and Hey Gorgeous. I know it’ll be nothing short of spectacular!

xoxoxoxoxox

29. Love love love. You accomplished so much!! You should be so proud!! 2012 is going to be even better for you I just know it. ;) xo

30. Oh Rhi! I’m delighted to see everything working out for you. You deserve it! Wishing you an even better 2012!

31. I love you so very much. The two trips to Michigan were the highlights of a very difficult year. I treasure our friendship more than just about anything. Thanks for being as passionate about pretty things as I am an for being my friend. Love you so very much.
    xoxo
    Tonya

32. Natalie says:

This, by far, is one of my FAVORITE posts from you! Wow! You had an amazing year! I can’t even imagine what 2012 is going to bring you! I’m so happy we were able to be a part of your life, and your career. I’m happy our relationship has grown into a friendship as well! You’ve really been supportive of me, my relationship and my decisions. It means so much! Love you, doll xo

33. You have accomplished so much in one year, and you are only 25! You are such an inspiration!

34. What a year you’ve had! You are such an inspiration to so many. Never stop sharing your heart, Rhi. It’s beautiful. Much love! xo

35. Lesley says:

Such a wonderful, blessed year for a sweet, hard-working and deserving woman! I’m hoping 2012 is even better for you, Rhi!

36. Anni says:

Congrats on a wonderful (and busy!) year — you’re such an inspiration. Seriously, the paragraph about moving into your new home and learning to slow down and get more out of life? I needed to read that today, thank you! Here’s to an even better 2012. :)

37. Shawna says:

Rhi, you deserve all of the good things coming your way. You have a heart of gold and I cannot wait to see all of the amazing things you will share with us in 2012. Thank you for being amazing xo

I do not have enough words to describe this post Rhi ~ I love how it came from your heart ~ the recap of the year ~ your accomplishments ~ your love for Andrew and your family ~ and last but not least your appreciation for your friendships ~ you are a special girl with such a big heart and I will give a big shout out to Simone for leading me to you. Happy New Year!! xo

39. It was fate that you found me (though that was technically 2010), and I am forever grateful. Here’s to another year of success and creativity… You are awesome!! xoxo

40. it has certainly been quite a year for you guys and your amazing company….I see even greater things for you in 2012! Keep it up, Rhi, you’re doing something right:) xo

41. So many amazing accomplishments in just one year! My hope and prayer is that I’ll be writing a post like this *next* year. Thank you for being such an inspiration–for all your passion, talent, AND encouragement. 2012 is going to be even bigger for you, girl. You’ve got it GOIN’ ON. :) xoxo

42. Mallory says:

You are truly an inspiration! I stumbled across your blog quite a while ago now and you have become a daily read for me! I absolutely love your work and the heart you put behind it. It’s so wonderful to see someone follow their dreams, do what they love and to love it SO much! I am looking forward to seeing what happens next for you in 2012. Congratulations on such an amazing year!!

what an AMAZING year! you have accomplished SO much (personally and professionally) and it’s an inspiration, truly. i know bigger, better, brighter things are in store for you in 2012. can’t wait to follow along!! xoxo

44. Jas says:

Oh Rhi! What a fantastic year you have had. The memories and friendships shared are just wonderful and I cannot wait to see what 2012 bring you personally and professionally. I know I’ll be going back through your archives as a recently engaged gal (wahhhhhoooo!) to get a little inspiration. Much love for 2012!

45. Sounds like a wonderful year! I found you after your MadeByGirl feature and although I got married in August, I still just really enjoy following you and your blog and amazing taste on Pinterest! So exciting, all the cool stuff that’s been going on, I wish you the best in 2012 and I’ll be here to read about it! =)

46. Jessica@TWB says:

Best of luck in ’12! Love coming back here and reading all you have to share.

47. Bravo lady! Quite a fabulous year you’ve had and it’s been such a fun journey to follow. :)

48. Nikki says:

What a year! You totally deserve it. Can you send some of that motivation this way please?

P.S. I want to know more about those grey chairs…

Happy New Year Rhiannon, here’s to a fab 2012 *clink*

49. Lolly says:

I’m so happy to read about your eventful and successful year. We’re the same age and you’re so much further along in life, in most ways, than I and instead of feeling jealously, I feel inspired (which is new for me)! It’s exciting to see someone my age with so much going for them. It gives me hope for a brighter future for myself. Here’s to a beautiful new year! Xo

50. Such an amazing year you’ve had!! I’m so happy for you and all your achievements… you are such an inspiration!! Wishing you a fabulous year ahead! xo