Apr 25

Confessions of a Rebrand

I’m a perfectionist. There I said it.

Blame it on 21 years of competitive gymnastics but I delight in control and feeling like everything in my life is based on an outcome I’ve prepared in my ideal state of mind. And wanting everything to be perfect all of the time is a tough thing to do. Try it for a day and you’ll feel loopy by the end of the day with all that you simply cannot control. Do you ever notice how the lines of my blog posts fit perfectly with the boundaries of my blog space? Have I ever shared my color-coded, perfectly-vacuumed-everyday closet? I was the girl who rewrote notes in college after each lecture to make them look ‘nicer.’ The girl who even now, can’t fathom the thought of blogging an instagram photo because it wouldn’t possibly be cohesive with the other photos I blog here. I can be terribly indecisive not because I don’t know what I want but because I think things can always be better.

I’m only in the very beginning stages of my rebrand but already, feel such incredible and positive changes in my life, both personally and professionally, largely in part to following Lara’s The Challenge (honestly go read this now). I’ve learned that progress is simply put, more beautiful than perfection. I’ve found ways to break down my days into routines that make sense and that are streamlined into productive periods of time. I’ve felt a little lighter lately. I’ve felt a little more inspired and smarter. I feel like I’m on the edge of something really big and beautiful and scary. Knowing you can and will be better is scary. But the scary unknown means you’re taking a risk that could ultimately lead to something bigger and better than where you are.

I recently made the tough decision to soon end my part time job at the flower shop. In my heart it felt like sometime soon, either my health, my marriage, my business or my personal life, was going to suffer as a result of being spread too thin. When I really sit back and analyze all that I have as mine, I had to be honest with myself and prioritize my responsibilities. I’ve been performing a juggling act lately, a really impressive juggling act may I add but I want to create a better sense of harmony and happiness for myself. You know the whole work hard, play hard adage? I’m truly working really hard over here, with no play.

I want to pop in every now and then and share my experiences with you all as I progress through this exciting transformation. My reason to rebrand (as many of you have asked me what could possibly be wrong with my current branding) is that I want to be better because I feel like the current look of Hey Gorg has potential to be more. This year is going to be incredible with nine amazing events I can hardly wait to share with you all, and using all of these incredible weddings to wrap up my first few years of business, complete with a professional logo, client experience, website, collateral and improved brand is RAD.

I’m a perfectionist. And I’m learning to be alright with not being perfect all the time.

Happy Wednesday, blogettes. Make it a wonderful day! xoxo

P.S. I have office hours now! Eeeek!!

38 thoughts on “Confessions of a Rebrand”

1. Anni says:

As a fellow perfectionist, I’m so excited for you! Your current branding is so gorgeous I know your new iteration will be even more perfect.

I can definitely relate, too. I’m in the middle of a total rebrand and I was probably the pickiest client ever. I wish I had had a little more budget to work with, I think I’ll be tweaking things for awhile, but at least I have a good start. I feel like it’s so important that we are our brand so that clients really get a feel for us and are a good fit. Everyone wins that way. It’s exciting stuff, and I can’t wait to see your perfect updates!

2. WOW! this is my life – to a tee.
    I also was a competitive gymnast for YEARS, then a competitive diver through college. i work harder than anyone i know, even if it appears things just fall into place. i also just left my corporate job to build my business and to help fulfill my life.

i refuse to post an instagram photo anywhere besides instagram, i obsess over words and how they look so much that i will delete a tweet and then rewrite it if i didn’t like how it looked the first time. i am getting into gear of a wonderfully successful year and i am always seeking how i can improve on what is already awesome.

you spoke from the heart, and it sure sounded a heck of a lot like my heart. xo love.

3. Congrats on the changes! Nice to hear from another blog writer self-proclaimed perfectionist. And I gotta say that that style and insistence on quality shows in your current branding and style–I am always impressed by your work (and your home dec!)! Good luck with the new things, and best wishes on… balancing the perfectionism and letting some things go! =)

4. Abby Grace says:

So excited for you to take Hey Gorg to the next level, girl! I’m leaving my corporate job in the near future so I can do that very same thing. I can’t wait to see you bloom and grow!

Always an inspiration, especially as I struggle with playing {even just a bit}….Wishing you a fabulous Wed. xoxo

6. I love, love, love this post! Reading you describe yourself was like reading a perfect description of ME. This all rings so true, especially as I graduate college and attempt to figure out my life. It is comforting to know that I am not the only girl who has ever re-wrote her notes because she wanted them to look better! :) Keep up the awesomeness and I am SO excited to see where HeyGorg is headed!

7. So excited for you, Rhi! It’s so funny how great advice never loses its luster when it’s passed from one person to the next. If good advice is relayed with heart and diligence, it only becomes more powerful. As you are learning a lot about yourself in this experience, I have already learned a lot about myself just from reading your words, and feeling your enthusiasm. Your drive is contagious. You inspire me. Thanks for being you!

8. em says:

i love your heart!!! so excited for you to focus in and really get at it this year. xoxo.

I know how ABP feels–the more I get to know you, the more I love you, honest and truly. I feel like I’ve found such a kindred spirit in you, and I can’t wait to see all the incredible things you’ll do in the coming months and years. Being here for your success is such a wonderful honor.

XOXOXOX

10. Ana F. says:

Thank you for this post today! I really needed to hear something like that! I completely agree with the comment above – I have learned a lot from your learning process. Thanks for the words of encouragement! Even though they were for yourself, they’ve rubbed on to me :)

11. I’m happy to see you are recognizing there is beauty in the imperfect, but understand there is always excitement in the ability to learn and grow. MBH will be a fabulous experience for you and I’m looking forward to hearing all about it! xo

12. Nicole Mower says:

A quote that I happened to read this morning came to mind as I read this post.

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?” ……… “And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” – Marianna Williamson

Rhi – You’re talented, inspirational and human. Throw up an instagram photo and blog about it. ;)

13. Alicia says:

I literally can not wait to see what this process brings for you. I LOVE the current look and all that you do so I can only imagine what it will be as you progress and get even better!

14. Hey pretty lady, I love the honesty you convey in your blog. It’s so hard to try to be perfect. I think it’s extra hard for women because we’re suppose to be even more perfect than our male counterparts. From the right hand bag to the right nose, if we don’t have it society can judge. It’s great to see you embracing and therefore encouraging others to embrace who and what they are and let that be their version of perfect. Lots of love, can’t wait to see your new rebrand! xx, Katie

15. Loren says:

I’ve been lurking your site for a while but wanted to send you some encouragement. Also I love the quote ‘Progress is more beautiful than perfection.’
    I don’t usually consider myself a perfectionist but I frequently find myself stuck because things are not “exactlythewaythattheyneedtobe”. Movement in any direction is better than being stagnant.
    Good luck darling.

16. birdie to be says:

CONGRATS! This is all so exciting for you! Enjoy it and I can’t wait to hear about all the success and progress :)

17. You’re going to be fabulous! So incredibly happy for you and excited to watch your journey unfold! xo

18. Congratulations and good luck! I’m in the midst of a rebrand myself. It’s challenging, but will be so worth it in the end! Look forward to hearing more about your journey.

I love reading this- so positive and hopeful!! And you, my dear, are great and have a truly amazing business. I’m so excited to see your new brand and logo and everything. I’m definitely a perfectionist, type A person, too, but have learned somethings have to give and it’s okay if something isn’t perfect- it gives it personality :)

ps. 1 week! xo

Type A personality here too Rhi and it really sucks sometimes. With age I find I have become easier on myself plus I live with Mr. whydoittodaywhenthereisalwaystomorrow and wellthatlooksgoodenoughdoesn’tit?? Well ~ no babe it needs to be centered, leveled, cut ~ insert word here ____! You need some time for you and Andrew and then you need some girl time too. Concentrate on your business, your man and yourself ~ not necessarily in that order ~ smile ~ laugh and love girl ~ love it all. xo

21. I am so excited! I love that you always have something new going on in your life. Well at least that’s what it seems like to me !:)

22. Keri says:

Sounds like you are well on your way! Congrats on all the exciting things you have going on!

23. Nicole Haley says:

Ooh, you’re speaking my language! Congratulations on the beginning of NOT spreading yourself so thin. It’s a beautiful life…and it’s good to enjoy it. :) Very best wishes as you rebrand and refocus!

24. Nora says:

So excited for you! Good luck!!

25. ashleynashville3 says:

cannot wait to see the rebrand!!!!!! you’ve come such a long way from cupcakes in Canada. Glad to have been along for the ride :)

26. Rhiannon, you and I are more alike than we thought :) I’m a perfectionist too. But I think you knew that already. And I too blame it on my 15 years of dance, seven of which was competitive. Did you know I still automatically point my toes when I lean over to get something and my leg goes in the air? And I can’t believe we have this common, I laughed so hard when I read it. I used to rewrite all my notes in college AND high school to make them look better. I never noticed the lines of type lining up on the blog, but I do now. Guess what’s getting fixed this weekend? Lol :) I am so excited for all you are doing. I already see so much growth in you and I know you are just beginning. There’s still so much ahead. I’m starting the Challenge, May 1st. I’m stoked. Because I know it’s going to be grand and seeing you go through it is a huge motivating factor for me to follow through this month. Love you!!! xoxoxo

27. Kody says:

I’m a perfectionist as well and I love the line you used, I may have a custom print made out of it just to serve as a reminder. I’ve always been the person who gets ready to get ready and if anything else in my life isn’t perfect I can’t focus.

Congrats on the beginning of something even more beautiful than what you already have, Rhi. Best wishes to you and your business.

28. Girlfriend, I swear I relate to YOU and THIS POST so much. I too am a perfectionist, but I’m spread so thin right now that I have made my life a complete and utter MESS. I have to prioritize and give up something…I just have to figure out what that will be. You seem like such an awesome gal and would love to meet you one day! I think we’d hit it off…and you know, since we both are married to Andrew’s, that alone says so much. Congratulations on all your success already and the bright future I know you are destined for. I look forward to following along and rooting for you along the way. Xo.

Oh Rhi, I too am a perfectionist, but have realized that the older I have gotten, it is actually something that at times I think makes things harder and it is best to not strive for that, even though I wasn’t really intentionally striving it, and being “perfect” actually annoys me if people say it…interesting isn’t it! :)

Not to mention how back in school, if I had turned in a project when it was done, but not to the perfect quality I wanted it to be in my eyes, it would have gotten the same grade as had I just not spend the extra time perfecting it…so, in a way it causes you to waste a some time…it really is a balancing act, as you said.

Anywho, off to read “The Challenge” now, and I simply love that you are discovering new things about your life and growing, that is what it is all about, and I love that you plan to take us on this adventure with you! Good for you!!! <3

30. I think I said, “I feel the same way” in my head about 10 times as I read this post! I am also a perfectionist and it gets the best of me sometimes. I re-wrote my notes in collage and I still re-write notes to this day! I, too just made a major decision about my career that will enable me to have more time- time with my family, time to think and time to enjoy the simple and most important things in life without being anxious. I am so excited about it that I could scream. It’s a very freeing feeling.

You are such an inspiration and I love how you always share how you feel. I along with so many other people know that we are not alone! I look forward to seeing your rebrand and I hope you had a good weekend!

31. Wishing you all the best with the rebrand! It’s sure to be beyond perfect!

32. Nothing wrong with wanting to be perfect! :) Eager to see what perfectionism will bring out in your new brand!

33. louboo says:

Darling Rhi…I need to read this in more detail as it’s the kind of post that just SCREAMS out to me – Yes I am like that too! I wanted to stop by too and say thank you for your email (a few weeks back I know!) about your site. I have learned so much watching Hey Gorg develop and your eye for detail shins through on every page/thing you post. That is what I want to be. You do know don’t you how inspiring you are? Anyway – I launched the site yesterday – complete with rotating front images!! Yey. Much love sweet Rhi…take it easy, Lou x

34. louboo says:

Shins? Hmmm I meant to say ‘shines’!!!

This is so fantastic, Rhi! I can sympathize 100 percent. And I seriously need to get on that challenge with you.

36. Kelley says:

Rhi – I always appreciate and admire your honesty and aesthetic! Keep doing your thing, girl because you are truly talented! Make time to sit back, relax and enjoy too! XO