Oct 23

Pep Talk Tuesday {Letting Go}

My parents have a Barbara Krueger painting (not an original) hanging in their home. My mom had an artist recreate the painting for her and all I remember is how badly she wanted that thing. To her it symbolizes an important part of living a fulfilling life that of which is letting go. I’ve always struggled with letting go myself. To a fault. It’s hard for me to forgive and forget and as an overly sensitive person I have a hard time accepting constructive criticisms. Earlier this year I hit a low point where I was refusing to filter out negativity in my life and as a result my work, my personal life and my sense of being was affected. I was so down, so angry and hurt and frazzled by it all that I was literally held back from being happy. I felt so weak.

See, a lot of your personal happiness has to do with making a choice. You can make a choice to be happy or make a choice to not be. It’s that simple. Last week when I was leaving the MTH intensive, Lara told me something that I’ve known all along but I think hearing it out loud from someone else who knows my story really had a monumental effect on me: “Rhi, you’re doing amazing things but just imagine what you’ll be able to do when you let go of that little bit of negativity.” Whoah. Just like that. Bam, knock me on my butt, it really hit me. Letting go doesn’t need to be fancy or overdone or broadcasted to the world. It can be as easy as it sounds. And as easy as making a choice. To just let go. Try it. Sit down and try and let go. Just a little bit. Just with 10% of your being start to just even think of letting go. Instantly better right? Lighter, happier and better.

Funny enough, I have a typography poster I made sitting on my bed side table that reads ‘Let Go’. I instagrammed it on Sunday and many of my followers commented on how much they love that print. I’ve been waking up every day, seeing that print, but not truly taking in what it means to let go. Until last week. I made a choice. To let go and just be. I feel happy. I feel blessed. I feel like a better version of me, ready for whatever comes my way. I feel refreshed and hopeful. I feel like letting go is something we can all do to live a better life and just be a better version of ourselves. So tell me, what can you let go of today?

Last week I spent some time in Chicago at the Making Things Happen intensive and I took a few personal days off in the city with Leah, Shay and Kris. I am so grateful for my time away and for the memories and friendships I made in such a short amount of time. I hope to blog more about my trip soon but for now the above photo should suffice. P.S. I’m totally on my tippy toes. Photo by Shalyn Nelson Photography. She’s awesome. Go see her here. Happy Tuesday, my bloggies xoxo

15 thoughts on “Pep Talk Tuesday {Letting Go}”

1. Shalyn says:

You know what’s awesome? YOU. You know what else is awesome? Commenting on this blog of yours before meeting you…and now commenting on your blog as your in life, real friend. You’re an absolute love muffin, and I am SO proud of you. You’re an inspiration to so, so many, and you’re capable of achieving the GREATEST. I’m so thankful I got to meet you and experience all that gorgeousness up close and personal. OW! OW! Love this post Rhi. Cheers to letting go of the negative. Remember, “LET GO, LET GOD.”

You’re my fav. AND I miss you. xoxo.

2. So incredibly proud of you. Life has so much in store for you that it’s important to not let the little things or negativity creep in. Excited for you. xo

3. LOVE this message and it is always good to have a reminder! I am so glad you had a great time and even more excited that everything you do can only get better from here! No need to be negative when there is so much amazing bottled up inside of you!

4. Wise post, Rhi! I’m pretty good at letting go of negativity; I struggle with letting go of my fears. Worrying never makes anything better but that’s so much easier said than done for me. Something to work on. Kudos to you for letting go of negativity & making room for more beautiful, amazing things! You deserve it!!!

5. Gina says:

Wow Rhi, this is really awesome! I would love to take a MTH Intensive… but unfortunately I do live too far away to take that plunge. I’m really glad you did, because we can see the change in these words. Thank you for sharing such personal journey… it makes me feel more real!
    You are a true inspiration!
    Keep us posted on this great adventure!

6. tina. says:

Thanks Rhi! You’re so right. Living a joyful life is just that, a choice! Exactly what I needed to hear right this moment. Funny how God works that way (;
    I love your blog! I’m always looking forward to whatever prettiness you have to share. Keep making those happy choices, you’re doing a fabulous (:

7. Victoria Derrick says:

Rhi,
    Even when you are imperfect, you inspire. Letting go is SO hard, but you are right, it’s a choice. Love you tons and I look forward to what’s to come for your life, the ups and downs (hoping you don’t experience to many of the later though). Can not wait to read more of your MTH experience.

*To answer your question… I have trouble with my fears. I just need to come to terms with them (I seem to put un true thoughts in my head most of the time) and let go…Direction not perfection, right?

xoxo

Love, love, love this, on so very many levels. I love thinking of you happy, growing stronger, brighter, even more Rhi than ever. And I love letting go of the stuff in my own life that isn’t working, isn’t positive, isn’t useful. XOXOXOXOXO

PS–P H O N E D A T E !

Wow, I love Lara’s sentiment. Definitely easier said than done, but I totally agree that it has to start by making that choice to let things go. Taking it to heart :)

I need this so much… what perfect and beautiful advice. I’m so glad you took some time to have some fun, and that you’re feeling a little better!

11. Ana says:

First of all, you’re too cute!

I think that when we start realizing that thinking about the same things over and over again won’t help anything, that’s when things *suddenly* start getting better! We can either choose to let go or carry the same baggage for life and let it slow us down. Great post!!

12. I am SO jealous of you meeting Shay!!! Chicago looks amazing!!! You look gorgeous (as always) in all of the pics here and Shay’s blog!! I must know where your wrap jacket is from? I LOVE it!!! :)

13. Marina McAvoy says:

Gorgeous as always.

14. Jordan Blakley says:

Hi!!! LOVE THIS BLOG!

Could you post the file for your amazing typograph? Or perhaps you could tell us the font you used?

Always,