Dec 28

Au Revoir 2012

2012. Where do I even start with you?

Just the other day I was telling a close friend that 2011 was simply put just a really happy year. You can read my recap from last December over here to see for yourself. But despite all of the happiness, new beginnings and fabulous trips, I felt like my head was a bit in the clouds. I think when you’re new to an industry, team, school or whatever, you really just want everything to be positive and problem free. You’re always eager to make new friends, make great first impressions and make it, whatever it is, bigger and better. I think 2011 was a crucial year to really establish the framework for my business and personally was really wonderful, but 2012 was a year I could have never prepared for.

When I used to write for print, I did a piece for a health magazine that focused on new year resolutions and how it’s hard for so many people to keep theirs. The people I interviewed for the article all had such interesting opinions on resolutions and why people can or cannot keep them. I personally have always hesitated making resolutions that are too lofty because I hate to feel disappointed when I fall short of my goals so I went into 2012 with a vague goal of having faith in whatever was thrown my way. I had an open heart, an open mind and an eagerness to be successful and fulfilled. But then it hit me. And it hit me hard. I totally blew my easy peasy resolution within just ten weeks of 2012.

I took a brief blogging break in March of 2012 to collect myself. To reassess what matters and what makes Rhi really happy. Because the fact was I wasn’t. 2012 was so different from 2011 in the sense that I really learned a lot about not only the industry and the people who are a part of it, but myself and how I fit it to it all. I learned so much about the kind of business owner and colleague I want to be and the kind of business owner and colleague I never want to be. I learned to be less naive. It wasn’t an easy year I’m so unbelievably thankful for every single day that was part of it.

When I was little I wanted to live in New York City. Actually I wasn’t little but in high school and had aspirations of becoming an attorney who’d wear too tight pencil skirts and kitten heels to work every day. I’d be powerful, fulfilled, and rich. I’d trade in my car for subway tokens, my suburban home for a small studio loft and I’d take yearly trips to exotic faraway places. Life so often plays out differently then we expect though doesn’t it? My New York dreams have changed but my heart has always remained the same. That’s the sweetest part. I’ve just always wanted to be happy.

So following my little hiatus from social media and blogging in March I decided to do something I wanted to do so long ago. I finally signed up for Making Brands Happen to take Hey Gorgeous to the next level. I started writing about it all here. And I slowly shared bits and pieces of the process with you like my branding inspiration board below. This is when I think my year really began and when I started listening to my gut. Life begins when you listen to that inner voice.

There were a few DIY projects and floralized posts in the mix this year too.

Then in May, I celebrated my 26th birthday by putting together far too many paper chain links and florals for this. We put together an incredible team of vendors to make this production come to live and we were thrilled to have the editorial featured over on Green Wedding Shoes. Make sure you watch the video there too because it’s so awesome.

I also spent a good chunk of time preparing for this gorgeous wedding in June. Ash and Dallas were my first 2012 bride and groom and I was seriously on pins and needles just waiting to kick start my season. I was able to work with Beth Kaye at this event and she’s always able to bring me an inner sense of peace. Since October of 2010 she’s been a constant source of inspiration to me and a rock steady friend who has done nothing but encourage and love me.

In July I had two events in the dead of summer heat. I never blogged either one of these events at the request of both couples, but I made some newlyweds (and parents!) really happy. My handsome husband even made an appearance at a gorgeous Detroit wedding I had on my roster to help me out. He’s the sweetest and I just love him and how much we’ve grown together in this adventure. We also decided to take the plunge and purchased the cutest little pup you ever did see. Go read this here to meet her. While getting used to a small puppy is quite the adjustment, we love Zoe to bits and are so happy with how she’s enriched our lives. Sometimes we think we’d be pretty awesome parents because of it.

Then August hit and it was all such a whirlwind. I had three back to back events up at Crooked Creek Ranch. I hired an assistant to help me with all three. Natalie was such a life saver and together with Michele, we not only rocked out some seriously amazing events but we had way too much fun. Seriously. I’m dying for some more CCR weddings!

First there was Jessy and Erik’s Anthropologie-inspired ranch wedding.

Then Kelly and Andrew’s big day (coming soon) and of course Mary Beth and Tom’s lovely fete.

September came around really fast and I was back up north again for Sarah and Bryan’s gorgeous wedding.

And in mid-September I was over in Chicago to coordinate Claire and Doug’s big day….

Before jetting off to Toronto for Megan and Eric’s celebration.

In October I had my finally had my final 2012 wedding and these two lovebirds below were hitched. This was one of my favorite events from the entire year as I took on all the planning, design and florals myself. Nicole was just a dream client with such a unique sense of style. I wish I could help her plan a wedding every year. It was truly that good.

And just two days after that I was back in Chicago with this girl, this one and this one here too. This is when things really started to click. At Making Things Happen my heart changed a whole lot. I became less consumed with any sort of negativity I had soaked up from earlier on in the year. I made lists of what fires me up, I made lists of what scares me, I made lists of people who are supportive and encouraging and those who are not. I said things I would have never admitted to myself if I hadn’t of been in that room. I decided that one day I too could become a Mom and that it would be special. I told a room of 40 people that only I need to be content with the addition of floral services to my business. And I felt so supported and loved about it. If that wasn’t enough, I then spent a few days roaming around Chicago with my new friends, soaking in this new sense of calm. I left Chicago feeling new again. Feeling restored and hopeful.

In November, I did some bouquet mock ups photographed by this lovely lady.

And had my photos taken by this talented chick here for the new website.

December was such a blur. Between getting hit with the flu more than once, prepping for the relaunch, planning the relaunch party, multiple client meetings and site visits, this chick here and I finally met in real life to collaborate on my favorite shoot yet. It’s taking me every little morsel of will power not to show more from this editorial but I’m so proud of how everything turned out. It was the perfect project to have under my belt with the new brand. Just gorgeous.

Speaking of which, the biggest and most exciting thing to happen in 2012 may have just been the relaunch of Hey Gorgeous. I feel like a broken record here in saying this but for as overwhelming as this process was for me it was as equally fulfilling of an endeavour to take on this past year. Not only did I walk away with a gorgeous new identity that really showcases what I do and what I’m all about but I was given a new sense of confidence that I feel I lost back in March of 2012. I learned to value real relationships, my family and my husband. To set office hours, to set time aside to play with Zoe. I walked away from a part time job that was hindering me from success and learned to embrace the gifts I’ve been given. I was given tools to be a better business woman. A smarter business woman. To. Focus. On. What. Matters. Only. The feedback I received on the new site was more than I could have ever hoped for. I feel so grateful.

Then just like that the holidays hit. We sent out our holiday cards just in time. Andrew and I made our traditional mac and cheese Christmas Day dinner and the two of us sat on the couch and did a whole lot of nothing. Much deserved nothing. As I type this I’m sitting at Starbucks watching everyone around me talk with family and friends over hot coffee and lattes. And my Mom just walked in since her and my Dad’s new home is just mere minutes away by foot. My heart lights up when I see her. Today my Nan would have been 83 years old. My Aunt is also celebrating a birthday and is turning 53 today. And since my Grandpa immigrated to Canada from the then Yugoslavia when he was only 23 with just the clothes on his back, we too have has always celebrated his birthday on this day. We only recently learned his actual birthday is in April. But nevertheless, we will all join him tonight at his favorite place, Red Lobster to celebrate the sweetest gift of all. Happiness, health and love. I feel so lucky to be ending 2012 in a place that matters.

To all of you out there, who have been supporters of my work, my dreams and my goals, I wish you too all of the best in 2013. Don’t let anything or anyone hold you back from what makes you happy. My heart is literally close to bursting with hope and intent for living life differently in 2013. And I hope yours is too. With love from my little space to you.

Rhiannon xoxo

33 thoughts on “Au Revoir 2012”

LOVED reading this, Rhi. Thank you for sharing your heart and your journey! Cheers to a gorgeous 2013, my dear friend :)

2. Lara says:

I am so proud of you and grateful for you!!!

3. Kelly Braman says:

Oh, this was just wonderful, Rhi! Always from the heart and honest and that is what I love most about you! Cheers to a wonderful and blessed 2013…fully of learning more about ourselves and trying to encourage and uplift one another! Excited for things on the horizon! Go on with yo bad self, girl! love ya! xoxo

4. Allison says:

i loved reading this! so happy for you! wishing you an even better 2013 :) congrats on all of your success!

5. Janelle says:

I just discovered you this past year, but it’s been so awesome to see how far you’ve come, Rhi. You’re a huge inspiration to me (even though you don’t know me!), and I look forward to seeing you carry your success into the new year and make it grow!

6. Lauren says:

I posted today about starting a blog and the bloggers who inspire me – thanking each of them individually. I just realized that post doesn’t mean a whole lot if I don’t actually thank them! You were one of them ;)

It’s your posts like this that inspire me so much and fill my heart. Thank you so much, Rhi, for doing what you do and allowing us to share it all with you! xxoo ~L

7. so happy for you! great post!

What a great post ~ you know how proud and happy I am of you and for you ~ cheers to 2013! xo

9. I love you. And everything about this post. Where you are and where you want to be this year is truly an inspiration. I heart your heart, Rhi!! Get it, girl!! And do, lots!! xoxoxo

10. Nicole Rene says:

You are such an inspiration! I love watching your business evolve and aspire to have a successful wedding planning like yours someday soon! I really love following your blog & site and find that you inspire me to keep on trucking even when I am feeling overwhelmed! Hope you have a happy new year! <3

11. Kris says:

Even though I followed your blog, fb, and insta throughout 2012 I still loved this recap! Congrats on everything u’ve accomplished this year and the new addition to your family in Zoe. Can’t wait to see more in 2013, happy new year!

12. What a year it has been for you, Rhi! Thank you so much for sharing your journey + heart with us all here on the HG Blog! You’re such an inspiring person and I’m so looking forward to all the greatness ahead for you in 2013! xo

13. Kate says:

what a fantastic year you’ve had! and such well deserved success. happy new year to you and your family! :)

14. Ashlyn says:

wow, what a year girl! you are such an inspiration :) so excited to see where 2013 is headed! you are such a beautiful person inside + out! hope you have a wonderful new year love!

15. I pictured myself in too tight pencil skirts and speaking to a full boardroom…hmmm…what is it about pencil skirts!

Happy New Year! Cheers to 2013!

16. milica says:

Just so you know, I would walk to Tim Buck Two just to see you! xo
    Thanks for making my holidays by coming to see me. I love you and miss you everyday! mom xo

17. What a great year~ I don’t even know you personally but I’m genuinely so happy for you! All the best in 2013!

18. I’m crying over here in Africa :) You are one incredible woman Rhi and don’t ever forget it. You are strong and beautiful through and through! I feel blessed knowing you and I’m grateful to call you a friend. Cheers to 2013 Rhi! XO

19. Joelle says:

2012 has been such an amazing year for so many of us, and I feel so grateful that I was able to follow along on your journey this past year! I accomplished a few things that I never thought that I would this year, and it’s all thanks to the inspiring women I’ve discovered via blogging, like you. I truly hope that 2013 is everything you want it to be, and more! xoxo

20. This was really beautiful Rhi, and it really inspired me to focus on looking at what I want 2013 to be in terms of my quality of life and the true passions of my heart – not just career accomplishments. Thank you for sharing your authentic heart!

what a year, rhi!!! congrats on all your success, lady! i just know it’s up up up from here! xoxox

22. Christine says:

What an incredible year, I wish you so much continued happiness in 2013! You are such an incredible woman, I always leave here so inspired. Thanks for that.

23. Breanna says:

So stinking proud of you! Just hearing you give life to your dreams in Chicago was incredible, and I could tell that BIG things were in your future. Way to make your happiness a priority, and I can’t wait to support you through this upcoming year!

24. Rachel says:

Rhi, what a great post! Your honesty is so inspiring. I know your life and business will keep growing because you’re focusing on what MATTERS. It was so fun to meet you at MTH, and to be such a small part of your year. Hopefully we’ll connect in Traverse City sometime soon. :) Wishing you the happiest New Year!

25. So ridiculously happy for you, Rhiannon!!!! Your business has gotten this gorgeous, creative breath of life and is such a joy to follow on the internets. My only regret is that I lived closer and could photograph projects with you. Those lucky Michigan photogs! *raises vanilla chai mug* Here’s to 2013 and all the growth, discovery, lessons and prettiness that it all has to offer! Much love from your Boston buddy – xoxo Shann

26. Jennifer says:

Rhi, I knew your little bird looked familiar! It looks just like the SMP bird, it’s so cute!!

27. Kat Braman says:

you know what this post tells me? that you’re beautiful, inside and out! I hope 2013 is everything you dreamed of and I hope that we have an opportunity to work together one day! xo

Love this recap! Your 2012 proves that when you set your mind to something and use your God-given talents, beautiful things happen! xoxoxo

29. So proud of you! Can’t wait to see what’s in store for you in 2013. It’s going to be grand. xoxo

30. Nicole-Lynn says:

Oh my goodness… that is the most precious pic! :)

Giggling that our high school dreams were identical, right down to the chic shoes! Happy 2013, darling!

32. i haven’t visited in ages, so this was a great post for me to catch up on. glad you’re doing great, girlie, and happy new year!

33. I love absolutely everything about this wedding!