Jan 2

January 2013

Happy 2013, blogettes! In case you missed it last week, I wrote a rather long post over here that wrapped up 2012 in all of its entirety. I think I got so wrapped up in you know, wrapping up the entire year into one post, that I totally forgot about listing out any specific visions or goals that I have in mind for 2013. I sat down with Andrew yesterday and together we had a lengthy but incredibly refreshing discussion about last year and what we did well and what we did not. We actually followed Lara’s amazing Goal Setting series which you can find here. We made some incredible notes together and individually, and I felt so excited to wake up this morning and tackle my day. Actually scratch that. I felt thrilled to face my life. That is a good thing, friends! When you’re excited about life I think you’re truly happy.

So moving forward I think I’d like to talk about the things I’m doing to better my life and simplify the process to reach goals. For example, if one of my goals is to get skinnier and be healthier then I need to probably get specific about how to make that happen. Deciding to hit the gym three times a week is most likely going to yield more success than a vague goal of ‘getting healthier.’ With that being said each month I’ll touch on three things I’d like to focus on doing for the entire month or even the entire year to help fulfill my goal of living a more purposeful and consistent lifestyle! They might not be uber specific here on the blog but at least I can share a little with you on what I’m hoping to tackle.

. . . . . . . . . .

Healthier Living. This means being proactive about things as simple as eating three balanced meals a day (Starbucks is not a meal replacement unfortunately for me), flossing my teeth before I go to bed (I hate flossing) and getting my booty to the gym a reasonable amount of times per week (meaning more than zero). I’m pretty good at working through meals, falling asleep with my make up on and making excuse on why the gym doesn’t fit into my schedule. But the truth is these things take up such a little amount of time and in the end save me things like cavities, having to by new clothes because my old ones are too snug, headaches from not eating, money from eating out too much, etc. There’s always a payoff when you make positive changes to healthy habits. I like that. And could get used to it.

Purposeful Living. This will make you laugh. When I go to the mailbox here and find there’s nothing of ‘value’ in there for me (i.e., a check, card, package or purchase) I leave it in there. Yup, I literally bundle up (at least these days I do because of the cold) walk out to the mailbox and leave crap in there because it’s not so called ‘fun.’ So today I hiked out there and was pissed to find a West Elm catalog, the same one I got last week sitting in my mailbox. And what did I do? Leave it in there! I came back inside empty handed and Andrew asked me what I left behind. Ha! He told me that this wasn’t a purposeful way to live and that leaving the catalogue in there had no purpose. Touche, babe. Touche. Next time I walk by an empty cup? Put it in the dishwasher. A stray piece of garbage? Throw it out. That’s purpose.

Consistent Living. Consistency is hard. This was one of Andrew’s areas of improvement as he noted himself. And truthfully I could go for a little consistency myself. It’s easy to meal plan for a few weeks, hit the gym on a regular basis for a few months and to remember to make the bed a couple days in a row but keeping good choices up so that they become habits is actually really hard. So while we try to meal plan and budget what we spent on food, cut out pop and use our gym membership, and make sure we clean up our messes as we go, we also want to make sure we are doing these things consistently so that come say the first of June, these actions have become first nature. That’s when you know your baby steps have become giant leaps. In the meantime I’ll head out to the mailbox to pick up that catalogue.

xoxo

P.S. The photo above is from the incredible Leah Mullett who was on hand to document the details from my amazing relaunch party. She and I have become such great friends over the past year and I’m so thankful for her and her ability to listen whenever I call. Leah is actually the one who inspired me to start documenting my goals month by month, just last year when I realized she was doing it herself. So go make a new friend today and say Hi to Leah. You’ll love her!

17 thoughts on “January 2013”

1. Jen O. says:

Great goals for 2013, Rhi! It’s often the little things we do (or don’t do) that can make an incredible difference. I had to laugh at your mailbox “value.” Un-fun mail remains unopened until the weekend for me :)
    Here’s to living with purpose, consistency, and joy in 2013!

2. Kris says:

I LOVE that pic – the balloons are fab, and your dress + tights are perfect!

Love the goals, and we share a similar one in healthier living. So far so good, but then again it’s only been 2 days into the new year ;) Can’t wait to see all that’s in store for HGE in 2013!

3. Margaret says:

Those are amazing goals. Such a great reminder to be specific with them, and make them achievable. :) You are going to rock out 2013 girl! Your joy for life is infectious. :)

Happy New Year!! I love these goals (and I totally do that with the mail sometimes… it’s bad… I need to follow suit…).

Your goals are attainable and that’s the best way to do things. Back when I was a manager we used the acronym “smart” for our goals ~ specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely. I tend to take this way of thinking with me whenever I make a goal for myself now. Meal planning is one thing that I started a few years back and although I have dropped the ball the last month or so, I plan to sit down on the week-end before I hit the grocery store to start this again. I also need to get back on the exercise “wagon” so to speak ~ I felt so much better when I was doing it on a regular basis. Winter is hard ~ it’s cold, I am tired after working all day and to come home to exercise ~ paleeeze! lol. Cheers to 2013. xo

6. This is why you’re so awesome ;)

7. Loving this post – sounds like a fresh year. We’re not too into resolutions either, but we’re focusing on living, laughing, loving and creating even more. Enjoying the small stuff. Celebrating even the littlest victories. Happy 2013, Rhi!

8. Nicole-Lynn says:

You’re so adorable! Love this. Love following you. That is all :)

9. Happy New Year gorgeous! Love these goals, and your photos from your launch are super adorbs:)

10. Ana says:

I love it! Consistency and purpose are on my list too! (I think I called it “intentionality”, but you know, it all means the same).

Awesome goals, Rhi! Cheers to a wonderful 2013 ahead of us!

11. naom says:

Kidnapping this picture for my phone so when you call I see you and HGE! Love you and thank you for the sweet message on my blog! Yes we will keep growing and growing and growing. Our friendship is so special. Love you LM!

12. Eliza says:

Happy 2013 to you! Your goals for this month are excellent – I’m sure you’ll exceed your own expectations! I posted recently about how I like to choose a word that encompasses my goals for the year instead of making tight resolutions. However, I know that in order to make things happen I do need to break my big goals down into small, achievable steps. I like the idea of tackling a few things each month! xoxo, eliza

13. Rachel Moger says:

I am so tracking with you on this, Rhi! Your goals really hit home with me. I know you can do it! I’ll be breaking down empty boxes in my freezer right along side you. Live purposefully! :)

14. ashlyn says:

rhi, these goals are wonderful. i was just over at lara casey’s blog & saw her 3 part webinar on goal setting for 2013. I really feel like I need to do this for myself.

& i am just like you — so many times i find myself making excuses for the things i am not doing that i should be doing. after 10 seconds of thinking, i am going to live a purposeful life! thanks for the inspiration! x.

What great goals and points of inspiration, Rhi, as always! Your blog always inspires me and I’m so happy to see how you and it have grown! Have a magical 2013…YOU deserve it!!! :)

16. I think you had a great 2012! It’s been so neat watching your business grow. I wish you so much success with this new year. You are definitely talented and find the beauty in all things. Btw you are stunning :)