Feb 18

Crazy Awesome Michigan Wedding Design!

There’s a certain something I love about social media free weekends (some of you know what I mean here). Namely the extra time on my hands to brainstorm, think and just dream without any influences from anyone else and their doings around me. Since 2013 kicked off I’ve only had one weekend that involved any involvement with my social media accounts and I have to say I noticed a difference in how I felt come Monday morning, versus how I feel when I take a break for 48 hours. This past weekend was no exception as I spent a ton of time doing more necessary soul searching.

With that being said, I’m working on shifting my focus a little bit for the 2014 season. And here’s a big part of why. Last fall, in the midst of my big rebrand, I got a call from a sweet bride to be who needed wedding planning help. She was (and still is very closely with me) planning a summer 2013 wedding in Michigan from Chicago and although she had booked a venue already she was clueless as to what should come next. A few phone calls, many emails and a signed contract later, I found myself reviewing her client questionnaire only to be staring at my screen in disbelief. Next to the part that on the questionnaire where I ask clients what their designs inspirations are read the following list:

‘Shabby chic, fantastical, unicorn, rainbow, fairytale, hard contrast, soft transition.’ Uhm?

Without going into too much detail because I’d love to share that in a future post with photos from this fete, I can tell you this much. This bride and groom have done more for my love and appreciation of what I do then I could have ever imagined. I’ve fallen in love with my job all over again. Within 48 hours after reading that questionnaire, my complete shock for an out of the box design inspiration turned to absolute delight as I began to plan a wedding that will no doubt be an incredibly unique and one of a kind celebration. My clients have trusted me, welcomed my ideas and given me creative freedom to infuse their big day with the most remarkable details that represent all of the above design inspirations. My heart is on fire. And I’m just itching to bring fifteen pages of quirky, crazy ideas to life for two deserving people (check out #shabbychicglitterunicornrainbowwedding on Instagram for previews before June 2nd!)

I started my business in 2010 to do a few things. The first was to help brides and grooms plan remarkable weddings, the second was to help brides and grooms have gorgeous weddings, and the third above all else was to give brides and grooms an unforgettable client experience. It’s always been about giving an experience for me. It’s not so much about giving a tangible product but instead handing over something that has to be felt. And how can I do that? In telling my client’s stories from start to finish with killer details, organized and streamlined planning strategies, awesome and like minded vendors on board and colors, textures, florals and decor that are stupid good. Like so stupid good you could oh my GOD out loud. With a whole slew of amazing 2013 and 2014 weddings ahead of me, I’m setting out to do just that.

While nothing much is changing here and I’ll still be offering full service planning (and highly recommending this to any future clients interested in HGE’s design, decor or floral services) I want to start marketing myself as more of an event designer. Planning an event for my sweet Taiwanese and Southern bride and groom I described above has been like planning and designing a massive inspiration shoot; that’s the real deal with vows, and guests, and heart and soul. Bring me more events just like this please. Where couples have stories, and interests, and visions and a passion for something a little out of the box. I’m going to continue to create, and build, and do the unexpected. Come along would you?

HeartAndHGE

Visit here to inquire about HGE’s 2014 creative event design, floral and full service planning offerings. I’m excited!

Photo by the amazing Kelly Braman Photography from this editorial seen here xoxo

11 thoughts on “Crazy Awesome Michigan Wedding Design!”

1. Ashlie says:

Excited to see all the wonderfuls come together!

2. Lindsay K says:

Wow! What an eclectic/creative design mix! Good luck! I’m sure you will pull it off fantastically! Love your new outlook for your business! xoxo, L

3. Brit says:

Good for you! I dropped Planning only two years ago for the same reason. There is something inspiring and creatively challenging about styling and design. While I still offer planning as part of a larger package (styling + design + floral), the planning piece was losing it’s luster for me, as I wanted to be able to share creative ideas with clients, but because those were not services they hired me for, it was sort of like tying my hands behind my back. Proud of you!

4. I can’t wait to see the end results this summer! There is nothing better than feeling inspired and energized about your job! So happy for you :) I myself have found a new found love in event design/planning. After a few months at an internship I am not so excited about, I have done some soul searching and found my passions again. I created a blog and I’m getting back to creating things I love. The only thing is I don’t know where to go from here. How did you start your business with no previous event planning experience? I am living in Omaha and looking for some business connections or advice on getting started.! I would love some words of wisdom!

hammerandheels.blogspot.com

5. ashlyn says:

can not wait to see how it all turns out — will def be tuning in! & heading over to look at your new vision! xo

6. Rachel Moger says:

Go, girl! I love that you have clients who trust you, and that you feel energized and inspired to give them the best in return! It truly makes for a magical partnership. I can’t wait to see how this turns out! :)

7. AWESOME!! I will DEFINITELY come along with you. This is so great! Can’t wait to see what the outcome is. I’m so excited for you, Rhi!

8. I love that you are so passionate and connected with what you do!! I really hope I have the chance to work with you one day. ;)

Oh my. I just can’t wait to see more from this awesome wedding. Love love love.

10. Kristin says:

Your motivation is so inspiring lady…It’s been awesome to follow your journey!

11. Loved reading this, Rhi! We all have those clients who, at first, give us this brief moment of (fear? need a word here) before we realize that we can do this, and we WANT to do this. And then just as quickly, that transforms into the feeling that there’s nobody BUT us who could do this for them, and that through fate, they found us. I know that they were absolutely, positively meant to find you, and I just cannot wait to see the magic you bring to their experience and to their wedding.